Price Advice selling issues.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ukeman, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Ukeman macrumors member

the 4 year imac thread brought up some interesting points about how much life you can expect to get from a new mac, and how much it costs per year, factoring in upgrades.

I have a late '08 C2D 24" 3.06, 4gb, 500gb 7200 rpm, the screen is perfect, it works perfectly, even with daily full time use. I have to admit, I only use it for the most basic functions, other than one season of Garageband mixing. It's mint.
    I am interested in selling and have seen one or two just like this sell on ebay for close to $900. (free UPS shipping, and "Office" included) One seller posted that 7200 rpm was a upgrade or bonus for that model; same as i have btw. It's fast, but i also pay extra from my provider for what they call "Turbo" internet booster...heheh.

I got a Macworld flyer today for a "sell your mac" vendor who claimed top dollar... $380. and that's with clicking the "like new" button (just to see). $380?
    Hell I'd rather give it to a family member or friend!

I've looked at a couple sites that sell used iMacs and figure my machine on a retail vendors "shelf" runs about $1,100. I may be wrong as i haven't spent a lot of time checking this out, but it gives you an idea of how confusing this can be.
    I'm just looking for comments, insight on this issue.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Selling it to vendors is going to bring you a lower price and in some instances (your situation) a lot lower.

3. DryEyez macrumors 6502

Vendors like that have to make a profit so offer you really low prices, i would go with craigslist or gumtree

4. malman89 macrumors 68000

You'd be ripping someone off selling it at $900 - if you could, go for it.

The highest vendor pricing I've seen personally is Best Buy. They offer a pretty legit trade in value, but do dock the price a bit if you want check instead of a gift card. However, at BB one can use the BB gift card sell back money to buy an Amazon or iTunes gift card.

5. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I've sold two macs since coming over to the dark side, and have been able to meet the suggested price that mac2sell.net gives both times. I'd put the stats of your box into that site; it should give you a pretty fair estimate. My guess is somewhere around $750-800.

7. Ukeman thread starter macrumors member

cool .... the mac2sell site came up with $720. but again, Low end Mac shows that Powermax sells them, used; $1,109 shipped.For me that gives me a lowball - high view.
    Do I think it's worth $1,109... shipped? That
    s highball for a vendor who has expenses, and maybe a warranty... When you look at new prices, a new 27 i3 = $1,600. and up to 3.4 i7 = $2,200.
    You get what you pay for; my C2D is top upgrade and although it's a 500gb HD... it's 7200 RPM.
    I'd go lowball...

8. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I think four digits is dreaming, honestly. Powermax is a ripoff.

I think you're realistically looking at around $800 for a local sell since you have 4gb of ram, maybe a little more. The 7200rpm drive probably won't factor into anything, as they all came with 7200rpm drives stock.

Best o' luck with your sale.

9. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Wow, no wayyyy is it worth 1100. Powermax is going to sell theirs higher than what you will get because it comes from a business and that gives people a bit of comfort. Secondly, No 27" iMac comes with an i3, they all are at i5's or better and a 27" is a much different beast than the 24" (higher pixel density and just bigger overall). My guess is 800, maybe 900 if you are lucky. Just remember, you are selling a 4 year old computer.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You'll never get $900- $1100 for that machine. Ask for $850 and agree on $750 in the end. You'll never buy a PC laptop that you can use for 3+ years and sell for that price. It is not that PCs are "bad" but they just don't retain their value at all. All PC laptops I've had were re-sold for less than 35% of the original retail price and all were less than 3 years old.