Selling jailbroken iphone 4, restoring to wipe info?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mikeheenan, Dec 18, 2011.

1. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

I'm going to sell my iphone 4 on ebay. It seems that most people recommend doing a factory restore and then rejailbreaking to preserve the baseband (015900). When I click on the restore button in Itunes, it says all info will be wiped and the newest version of iOs will be installed. Is this the correct thing to do? And then downgrade to 4.3.3 (the current iOs on the phone) ?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, whatever you do dont do a factory restore or click erase all.
    You will need to restore to custom JB ipsw to maintain your baseband. If you restore to itunes official firmware the unlockable baseband is gone forever.
    Find out what shsh blobs you have available using TU or by opening up cydia and then take it from there.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You can install and run PanicRoom from Cydia, this will wipe all your personal information off the phone and you do not need to restore your phone. Here is the link about PanicRoom.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/cydia-app-panicroom/

Report back to us if it works out for you.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There you go, a lot easier.
    It will just get rid of your stuff and then you can sell it as is on the unlockable baseband.

5. jmjoh122 macrumors member

jmjoh122

6. mikeheenan thread starter macrumors 6502

I created a custom ipsw with pwnagetool, a 4.3.3 ipsw, but when I cntrl restored and selected it from the desktop, it said it wasn't possible to do so for my phone. Is that because I already had 4.3.3 on the phone?

I'm going to try that cydia option, I'll report back.

7. mikeheenan thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried downloading panicroom, but it said 4.3.3 isn't supported and I couldn't download it? Weird.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Do you have your SHSHs for 4.3.3? If so just restore to that with TinyUmbrella's TSS server. Then when the phone gets stuck in recovery mode (it will), put the phone in DFU mode and use the "Fix recovery" button. I just did this process on two iPhone 4s recently and it worked fine (well one of them didn't have the 4.3.3 SHSH for some reason so I had to use 4.3.1)

9. mikeheenan thread starter macrumors 6502

I activated the TSS server in Tiny Umbrella and now everything appears to be working! Thanks for the help, that seems to have been the missing link!

10. spin360 macrumors member

Could someone explain to me what preserving or maintaining your baseband means and why it is necessary? The only JBing I've done is on an iPod touch so I've had no experience dealing with a baseband. Thanks!

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

The baseband is the cellular modem on the phone. Each iOS update typically includes a new baseband software revision. Software unlocks depend on vulnerabilities in specific baseband versions to work. So if the baseband gets updated, the unlock goes away. They cannot be downgraded either.

In the case of the iPhone 4, the only unlockable baseband was 01.59.00 (the launch baseband). Generally it's preferred that you keep this baseband if you have it, since it tremendously improves resale.

12. dkwannabe macrumors newbie

I am facing a similar issue and am not clear how to continue.
    I want to sell my iPhone 4, it's jailbroken and unlocked on 5.0.1. I have tried to restore it with a custom ipsw which succeeds in wiping everything except that in iCloud my Apple ID still shows. No matter what I do I cannot get rid of it.
    I have already removed the phone from Find My Phone online. I also tried putting another new appleID on it, but after erasing it, my real one was back.

I don't want to downgrade as what I have done so far is probably close to the limit of my skill in this. I am also afraid that if this is still there, that something else may be as well. Is there some way to completely wipe this phone while keeping the latest JB/ul on it?

Thanks!

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

After you restore and setup as new phone make sure you log out from the AppStore in settings and nothing will be there.

14. dkwannabe, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

dkwannabe macrumors newbie

OMG <faceslap>. That worked.
    The only thing left is that my computer is still listed in WiFi sync. No clue how to get rid of that.

Thank you!!

15. war eagle macrumors 6502a

That's not a big deal at all. Once they sync up with their own computer for the first time it will change to theirs.

16. HUGE AL macrumors regular

Restoring to Custom ipsw Challenges

iP4
    iOS 4.1 (8B117 Custom)
    BB 01.59.00
    Jailbroken with Pwnage

Put it in DFU mode, went to iTunes to restore to the Custom ipsw via depressing the alt/option button. Process begins, but then stalls out with the dreaded:

"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

Researching, I found here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1188419

that I had to go "…on mac os x go to etc folder and open hosts file. comment out this line: #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com"

Not sure how to do this as I could not navigate to the folder and don't know how to comment out a line (do I use Terminal) on a Mac.

I thought restoring should be easier than this.

Many Thanks!

17. >||LionBeats||< macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Another easy thing to do is download the custom firmware you want and hold alt and click on it. This will let you choose the firmware you want and you go to wherever you downloaded your firmware and click on it. Your device will restore to that.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wish it was that simple.
    You're forgeting about shsh blobs and putting it in pwned dfu mode.
    Both very important steps that cannot be skipped.

19. HUGE AL macrumors regular

Exactly. I didn't understand the point of LionBeats' post there...

AJ, am I doing things correctly? How do I best accomplish the goal of wiping the phone for sale?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Find out what shsh blobs you have available for the particular iphone.
    Plug it in and run tinyumbrella.
    Click save shsh, in TU settings go to advanced and select the box "request shsh from cydia"
    Let me know what you have available.

21. HUGE AL, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

HUGE AL macrumors regular

When I start up Cydia, it says:
    "SHSH: iOS 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.2~b3, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1"

After saving shsh in TU under "General" I've got:

iPhone4 4.0.1 (8A306)
    iPhone4 4.0.2 (8A400)
    iPhone4 4.1 (8B117)
    iPhone4 4.2.1 (8C148)
    iPhone4 4.2b3 (8C5115c)
    iPhone4 4.3.3 (8J2)
    iPhone4 4.3.5 (8L1)
    iPhone4 5.0.1 (9A405)
    iPhone4 5.1 (9B176)

Under "Advanced," the "request shsh from cydia" box is just a box to check and uncheck. Nothing happens when I do either. [The only unchecked box is "UPDATE iPHONE 4 BASEBAND"]

22. RebaMac617 macrumors newbie

Selling jailbroken 4 and need to wipe info

I have a jailbroken 4, version 5.0.1 with baseband 4.11.08.

Can someone please walk me through (pretend I'm a complete moron) how to wipe everything from the phone in order to sell?

Thanks!!

----------

Also, does jailbroken mean the person I'm selling it to can use it on Sprint or Verizon?

23. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

No. Your iPhone 4 is GSM only, meaning AT&T/T-Mobile(Edge Only).