Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lceegee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Okay, so I am a total idiot when it comes to certain things like this. I am selling my 2007 MacBook and I want to get all my pictures and files off of it. I am in the process of transferring the files to my new mac now, which is long and agonizing as well, but I want to delete everything off the old laptop before I sell it. No, I do not have the original software so is there any easy way for a beginner like me to delete all of my documents?? Or can i buy some software that will do this? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
The only real safe way is to do a Erase & Install (7 Pass is probably a safe point) or to just remove the drive altogether. Given that you don't have the original disks, I'm not sure which of these options is best.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
If you can't wipe the hard drive, create a new administrator account ( -> System Preferences -> Accounts -> [padlock] -> [enter password] -> +), then log into the other account, open a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and run

sudo srm -rvf /Users/[your home folder name]

However, I wouldn't buy a computer without the install disks.

lceegee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
If you can't wipe the hard drive, create a new administrator account ( -> System Preferences -> Accounts -> [padlock] -> [enter password] -> +), then log into the other account, open a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and run

sudo srm -rvf /Users/[your home folder name]

However, I wouldn't buy a computer without the install disks.

Thanks, I may be able to hunt down the software, I can't imagine I threw them away, but as of now I can't find them due to moving twice. Just wanted to know if I had another option. But thank you for your input, I'll give it a go

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
No problem. Bear in mind that srm will take a long time to run, considerably longer than if you'd just zeroed the hard drive. Expect it to take several hours, or as much as a day if you've got a lot of files in there.

lceegee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
No problem. Bear in mind that srm will take a long time to run, considerably longer than if you'd just zeroed the hard drive. Expect it to take several hours, or as much as a day if you've got a lot of files in there.

I never want to buy a new laptop again, it seems everything takes a long time whether it be file transfer or deleting the stupid things I am ready to be done now. haha

Stokes

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Or E Gun
Maybe you guys can help me then....
I have an early 2008 Whitebook... the Penryn 2.4ghz.

I want to sell it as well, and I still have the original box and discs and stuff.

My problem is that I've also already installed some other software. I added Microsoft Office 2008 and also Microsoft Vista Premium.

I'd like to keep Office for my Unibody, so I need to delete that off of the Whitebook (I believe), but I think leaving Vista on the Whitebook (I'm going to go to Win7 for the unibody), might help it sell, and I'll not use it anyways.

What way should I go to do all this?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I never want to buy a new laptop again, it seems everything takes a long time whether it be file transfer or deleting the stupid things I am ready to be done now. haha

Well, since you have another computer, you have the option of starting the old machine in target disk mode, and using Disk Utility on your new computer to format and zero out the drive. You can even install OS X using your new Mac's install disks (assuming of course that the misplaced disks contain a legal copy of the same operating system version) simply by running them on the new computer and installing to the old, which will appear as an external hard drive.

Maybe you guys can help me then....
I have an early 2008 Whitebook... the Penryn 2.4ghz.

I want to sell it as well, and I still have the original box and discs and stuff.

My problem is that I've also already installed some other software. I added Microsoft Office 2008 and also Microsoft Vista Premium.

I'd like to keep Office for my Unibody, so I need to delete that off of the Whitebook (I believe), but I think leaving Vista on the Whitebook (I'm going to go to Win7 for the unibody), might help it sell, and I'll not use it anyways.

What way should I go to do all this?

Use the restore disks to erase and zero out the Mac OS X partition while leaving the Windows partition intact. Reinstall OS X and you're good to go.

When I sell a Mac I always manually power it off by holding the power button after the installer finishes and prompts me to restart. That way, when the new owner powers the computer up for the first time, they'll see the welcome video and setup assistant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.