iPhone X Selling last year's X...

StarShot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
For the last 2 weeks I've been trying to sell my X on eBay, hoping to get $750-$800. From what I've seen, the eBay market for the X has tanked. Lot's of low ball offers $550-$700. Some jerk "won" my auction at $750, but then failed to pay. Same thing happened last year.

So I decided to try Swappa for the first time. No, I didn't get my $750 or up there, but I did sell it there for $650 and have been paid (the most important part).

I have a feeling the the prices of last year's X will increase after the Road Show to maybe $750-$825. I've heard that Swappa is a great place to sell and I'm starting to think they may be right.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
For the last 2 weeks I've been trying to sell my X on eBay, hoping to get $750-$800. From what I've seen, the eBay market for the X has tanked. Lot's of low ball offers $550-$700. Some jerk "won" my auction at $750, but then failed to pay. Same thing happened last year.

So I decided to try Swappa for the first time. No, I didn't get my $750 or up there, but I did sell it there for $650 and have been paid (the most important part).

I have a feeling the the prices of last year's X will increase after the Road Show to maybe $750-$825. I've heard that Swappa is a great place to sell and I'm starting to think they may be right.
Why do the think the price will INCREASE? I think just the opposite and was checking the price a few hours ago for a mint condition 64gb. I think prices will drop in a few weeks or less.
swappa is a good place to seel iPhones. I sold my unlocked SE there a few weeks in less than a day and got a good price for it.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Why do the think the price will INCREASE? I think just the opposite and was checking the price a few hours ago for a mint condition 64gb. I think prices will drop in a few weeks or less.
swappa is a good place to seel iPhones. I sold my unlocked SE there a few weeks in less than a day and got a good price for it.
because there will be more clarity. people selling them for cheap dont know the prices of released phones tomorrow or what will happen. If apple prices the new phones higher then what people expect then prices should increase for resale

Rob198612

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Miami
This just further cements the fact that my decision to sell my X a month ago was a great idea, i got excellent value back. Will do the same thing in 2019 or 2020 (depending which year i end up upgrading).

But yes, the secondary market for the X is tanking and will continue to do so.

Damn what are you doing for a phone?

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
Damn what are you doing for a phone?
My previous 7+, and honestly i've felt no difference in anything. Touch ID took a few days to get used to again and the screen is not as good, but it's more than capable of handling my day-to-day activities. The real reason i'm done with the 7+ is I'm just DONE with this form factor. I've had the 6+, 6S+ and 7+, would have got the 8+ if there was no X. I'm just tired of the way this thing looks more than anything lol.

LakerLand

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
For phones Swappa is the best place to sell phones. E bay fees are out of the roof these days

kupkakez

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
This just further cements the fact that my decision to sell my X a month ago was a great idea, i got excellent value back. Will do the same thing in 2019 or 2020 (depending which year i end up upgrading).

Yep sold mine a month ago and went back to an SE, got $850 for it.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona

Same here. I also sold my phone a month back and got great resale value

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008

bsmith4832

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
North East, USA
Thinking about listing on Swappa. Never used it before but it's much more preferred over having to deal with local stuff like Craigslist. I swore off selling on eBay years ago because of their fees (and PayPal fees). I can't justify giving them almost $100 when selling a premium device (or whatever the fees are now). Anything I need to know about using it?

Also, not sure what I'll do about a phone for the time being though. Pretty sure I don't have an extra laying around anywhere.

StarShot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
I swore off selling on eBay years ago because of their fees (and PayPal fees).

Pretty sure I don't have an extra laying around anywhere.
Good idea to have a backup phone for early selling. I have a 6S that I'm not using. When I sell a current phone, I just take out the sim card and pop it into my 6S. In a nano second, I'm back in business.

When you use Swappa, there ARE PayPal fees if that's the method you used to receive payment. Swappa says they don't have listing fees, but they do have selling fees although not as much as eBay. On Swappa you pick out the price you want your buyers to see and Swappa discounts that price to what you receive. I think for a $650 deal, the discount is around $25.

There ain't no free lunch.

Still, a more pleasant experience than eBay.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
People where expecting a price drop and it didn’t happen. I think resale for the x will improve now. Also dropping the x line will also improve resale.
Are you totally unaware of what's going on? The price drop will happen for sure in the next 2 weeks AND you will see 2 for 1s between now and Black Friday on the X. Along with price drops for new Xs-last year's model. The price dropped $20 today on swappa. Having a new XR for $749 hurts even more.

Last edited:

bsmith4832

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
North East, USA
Good idea to have a backup phone for early selling. I have a 6S that I'm not using. When I sell a current phone, I just take out the sim card and pop it into my 6S. In a nano second, I'm back in business.

When you use Swappa, there ARE PayPal fees if that's the method you used to receive payment. Swappa says they don't have listing fees, but they do have selling fees although not as much as eBay. On Swappa you pick out the price you want your buyers to see and Swappa discounts that price to what you receive. I think for a $650 deal, the discount is around $25.

There ain't no free lunch.

Still, a more pleasant experience than eBay.
I forgot about the PayPal fees via Swappa. Still even with their fee on top of it, if it was ~$25 on $650 I feel that's reasonable and, like you stated, a better experience over eBay.

I completely forgot, a couple weeks ago a user in our Marketing Department upgraded to a new phone and turned in her iPhone 6. Look like I'll be borrowing a work device for a couple weeks. :)

StarShot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
I completely forgot, a couple weeks ago a user in our Marketing Department upgraded to a new phone and turned in her iPhone 6. Look like I'll be borrowing a work device for a couple weeks. :)
That'll work. Pop you sim in and you're ready to go...Until Sept 21st!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.