Selling Liquid-Damaged rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MACelmore, Jun 16, 2014.

1. MACelmore macrumors regular

Okay, so I spilled wine on my laptop a few months ago, and though it was still working, the power button had lost its functionality. I knew that as long as I didn't shut it down, I could ride it out.

Well, my girlfriend shut it down accidentally a few weeks ago. Apple says it's going to be $700 to fix it. I was going to pay that, but currently Best Buy has some awesome promotions on MBAs, which will suit me just fine.

So I decided to go that route instead. So I say all of that to ask two questions:

1) Can I wipe my rMBP clean, or does it matter? It's password-protected, but I have my credit cards stored on the machine, and I would hate to have someone access that after they bought it.

2) How much do you guys think I could get for it? It's a mid-2013 rMBP with 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. It has very light scratches on the top of it, but besides that is in great condition.

I appreciate everyone's input in advance!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is it bootable at all?

If the data is not encrypted then your credit card info stored on the SSD will be accessible, password protected or not.

I'd look to sell it, only if you could wipe the storage clean

3. MACelmore thread starter macrumors regular

No it's not bootable at all. I took it to an Apple store to see if they could "jump start" it, but that didn't work.

How do you think I should go about trying to wipe it clean? Perhaps take it back to an Apple store and see if they can help?

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I believe there are some "start" pads on the logic board, they will enable you to bypass the faulty keyboard switch.

I think if you search either the no backlight thread or the SMC thread you will find the location, or somebody will point them out to you.

Barney