Selling Locked iPhone on Ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PsychoPatient7, Aug 4, 2008.

1. PsychoPatient7 macrumors newbie

OK so I want to sell my iPhone on ebay and get the 3G. I will not unlock it and just wanted to know if all my account information will be off it if I restore and remove my SIM card. Thanks for any help.

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

inb4 alphaod posts.

Why don't you unlock it? You'll make probably 160% more than if you didn't.

3. PsychoPatient7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know absolutely nothing about that stuff and have heard of a lot of things going wrong when you unlock it. I want to give someone a working phone and then they can have the option to unlock if they so choose. I am only looking to break even for buying the 3G at $299.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You have to do a hard reset in Settings.

I'm participating in a race!

5. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Haha it just seems that you always barely post before me in EVERY SINGLE THREAD I post in. Haha.

6. PsychoPatient7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Which is a hard reset? Is that just the reset all settings? As I said I know nothing about this stuff.

7. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Yea.

8. PsychoPatient7 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I just did a restore on the v1 iPhone and took out the SIM card. I sold one v1 iPhone 8GB for $475 on CL, and a 2nd one on eBay for $415. Both were AT&T locked and I advised the buyers that they were not unlocked or jailbroke. Got quite a few inquiries and both sold within 24 hours. I started the bidding on eBay at $250 (24 hour auction) and had a "buy-it-now" price of $475. Good Luck, hope this helps. :cool:

10. e46fanatik macrumors newbie

I did a hard reset and took out the SIM. Sold on eBAY to a guy in Cali for $450 BIN. He sells unlocked overseas for $599. I don't hassle with overseas stuff - had a couple deals go bad before. My money is guaranteed by paypal, shipment insured by Fedex and cash is was in my Checking account within 48 hours. Got my new 3G for $299 and I'm happy.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

After you do a hard reset you can don't do a restore if might restore your old settings.

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Spend about 30 minutes doing some reading on the subject and you'll quickly see that it has become quite an easy thing to do. It's worth the extra coin you'll fetch on ebay, I just sold my unlocked iPhone running 2.0 firmware for $385 last week.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I did the restore, and it restored the setting to "original settings" and prompts the buyer to insert SIM card and activate via iTunes or whatever cell phone provider's SIM card accepts an unlocked iPhone.

14. 3kids macrumors regular

I'm just a regular person who was looking for a second iphone. I wouldn't even consider the ebay auctions for first generation phones that said unlocked, jailbroken , or any of the other things that make it different than what I was familiar with. I looked for an old one, but the prices were too high for me to justify. I am with you on selling it as it is. If someone wants to do something to it, they can do it after purchase.