Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mercuric Oxide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
NYC
Hi,

So I want to sell my Mac on ebay with many of the programs still installed.

If I delete the user account, will the programs be there for the new account?

If that is not the case, is there any other way rather than reinstalling everything after clearing the current user?

Thanks

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Create a new administrator account and delete your current one completely. Applications that are in /Applications are system level and available to all users.

You might want to boot off of an external or OS X DVD and erase free space as well for a little more security.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Handy thread. Personally, when I sell my Apple Computers after I'm done with them, I like to delete everything and restart it from scratch (and sell it with that as a selling point - under the assumption it is one).

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
I know this more of a hassle, but I'd recommend you perform at least a zero out of your data and then reinstall os x fresh. I prefer the 7-pass secure erase. I do it every time I sell a Mac. It takes a bit longer (leave it running overnight), but in the long run, I'd rather not have anyone snooping around for my personal data.

Here's a link to Apple's explanation of each secure erase (it's the same in 10.5 Leopard as well, nothing changed).

Just boot up from the OS X install disk (while holding down "C"), go into the Disk Utility, select your drive (not the partition, but the entire drive), go to the Erase tab, click on the Security Options, and choose either Zero Out Data or 7-Pass Erase. Both are good and secure, I just prefer the 7-pass, but it will take 7x longer than the 1 pass (Zero Out Data option). Then erase the disk and reinstall OS X and the apps you want, and you're done!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.