Selling MAC Mini Server

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ericrwalker, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I don't use this forum much, and I didn't notice a classified section in here. Do people sell their stuff on here? I have a Mini Server that I only used about 3 times, but I usually use my laptop and never implemented the Mac Server, because I got into WHS first and run my websites of that.

Are there forum selling rules?

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

The is a selling subforum, but you need over like 250posts before you get access to it.

3. ericrwalker thread starter macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Oh, ok thanks. Yeah, I've been a member on here for a while, but rarely post, mostly just browse around. I've sold things on other forums and I was surprised I didn't notice a classified section.

Well thanks for the quick response.

----------

Oh I found the rules on selling. So I can't even "buy" from the marketplace until I have 250 "qualifying" post. That's really limiting the potential buyers. Oh well. I'll go to ebay.

4. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

You mean new people are penalized from buy used stuff others are trying to sell? Interesting. Forces me to buy new or buy used elsewhere. :)

5. ericrwalker thread starter macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yeah, I find that troublesome too, I can see waiting to maybe 50 post to start placing sell ad to build up some trust. Who knows maybe they had some bad experience with bad buyers on here, paying with monopoly money or something.

Like I said, I've been around here for a few years, and I don't have many post because I prefer to search and read other peoples post.

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

That's exactly the reason, a few bad eggs ruined it for everyone. If someone puts the time in to get to 250 posts then they've somewhat invested in the forum which hopefully will deture them from shadiness.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

50 posts isn't all that much, it can actually be made in a few days (well, in a day if you're very active, though newbies with such post counts are usually suspicious). Even though there is the 180-day limit too, having too low post count might give people the chance of creating an account and then coming back after a few years with pretty much no posts.

Essentially, the rules are there to make things easier for everyone. If the deal goes bad, it might cause a lot extra work for us. Although the user is always responsible for everything, we might have to provide e.g. IP addresses for police and that kind of stuff. It's also a very awkward moment and we of course hope that nobody needs to experience scams.

Keeping the limits high keeps the thread count low too. Marketplace threads require more moderation in general since there are many useless posts, or posts violating the rules or missing crucial info. While we cannot guarantee that the deal will turn out to be good, we still try to make sure there's no clear scam.

All in all, I would say the marketplace rules are kind of a compromise. I don't think Arn or any of us wants MR to become a forum for sales. I'm a member in a Finnish Apple forum and pretty much 70% of the threads are about selling or buying. Not something I would call ideal.

8. ericrwalker thread starter macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Make sense, we're here for rumors.