Selling Mac, What should I list?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by raider88dc, Aug 22, 2010.

1. raider88dc macrumors newbie

I have MacBookPro1,1 15'' and recently have been thinking about upgrading.

Kinda curious to see what kind of offers i would get but have no idea what stuff to include in the listing so that people know what they are buying. Should i just list everything that is listed on the system profiler or is there other things i should include? (besides cosmetic stuff)

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I'd list basic stuff like what's in my signature, and then maybe list more if it is requested.

3. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

If you've still got the box, list the specs that are mentioned on the side of that.

I'd also include lots of photos, and just be as honest as you can.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

That's a good start R94N.

Another good place to start is to look at the MacRumors Buyers' Guide and find your system. Look at the differences between the older and newer models and clearly identify your system so people know what model you are selling. It is somewhat helpful to include the apple part number that shows up under about this system. There is no need to include your serial number. It would help to let people know when you bought your system and whether it is still under applecare (for you).

Here are the release dates for Macbook Pro (all run together including 15 in, 17 in and 13 in models)...
    4/2010
    6/2009
    10/2008
    2/2008
    6/2007
    10/2006
    4/2006
    1/2006
    10/2005
    1/2005
    4/2004
    9/2003
    1/2003
    11/2002

Identify where yours is on the list and potential buyers can easily determine what they are getting. Often, ebay listings use simple copy/paste text from the manufacturer web site. You go to apple.com and carefully pull up the description for your vintage system and copy and paste the text into your listing.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. A screenshot of About this Mac

2. The date of purchase and the date when warranty expires. A picture of receipt and a screenshot of warranty expiration date if possible

3. Find your Mac from EveryMac and link it as it shows some detailed specs which may be crucial for some people.

4. A bunch of good pics of your computer. If you have a good camera, use it or borrow from your mate. You can upload them to ImageShack for example so they will be native res

5. Be honest. If there is a dent or a scratch, take a photo of it. It's not expected that a machine that is that old is in perfect condition but you don't want to go through the hassle if buyer thinks it isn't as described.