Selling Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SpasticPat, Nov 23, 2014.

1. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I was following this article, What to do before selling or giving away your Mac - Apple Support to format my hard drive. I backed everything up and it's been transferred to my new computer and I followed the steps in Disk Utility in the article. When I went to reinstall OS X, it had me put in my Apple ID and password and is still connected to my home Wifi. That won't be saved will it? Will I be ok to sell it once OS X is installed (but not setup)? Thank you for your assistance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The AppleID is not saved on the machine, but your wifi password is saved in PRAM. Reset the PRAM by following this.

Once that is done you are good to go.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14222

You might tell the new owner they should to to the App Store under their AppleID and purchase Yosemite in case they ever need to reinstall.

3. motrek macrumors 68020

You got too far reinstalling OS X. You should have closed it before entering your information and just let the new owner do all of that.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I may be misunderstanding, but I think OP is talking about the AppleID and password entry required when you go to reinstall OS X from recovery. It does not sound like OP is talking about creating an account.

5. SpasticPat thread starter macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

Correct. According to Apple's support link, after formatting/erasing the hard drive, you have to reinstall OS X. To reinstall OS X I had to put in my Apple ID and password.

I'll reset PRAM as well to make sure my Wifi password isn't saved. Thanks for all the help.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

This is still kind of ambiguous though since there are a lot of steps/stages to reinstalling the OS.

Basically the first big stage is downloading all the files and copying them to the drive. Then I believe the computer will reboot, you'll see some kind of welcome animation etc., and you will have to go through a setup process where you tell it what kind of keyboard you have and set up your user accounts (by entering your iTunes account information, the password you want, etc.).

So are you saying you had to enter your iTunes information in order to download/copy the files, i.e., before it rebooted and did the welcome animation etc.?

7. SpasticPat thread starter macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

What I did was first, I copied files from my Air to my new computer. Then I signed out of imessage, deauthorized the computer in iTunes and signed out of iCloud (deleting all data from this computer when doing so). I then restarted and got to Disk Utility on startup. Once in Disk Utility, I erased the hard drive and then quit Disk Utility. I then chose to install OS X again and it had me login to the App Store to do so with my Apple ID and password.

8. motrek macrumors 68020

Right. Did it have you log in at the beginning or at the end?

I.e., did it ask you to log in before downloading all the OS files, which must have taken at least half an hour and probably much longer?

Or did it do all of that and THEN have you log in?

9. SpasticPat thread starter macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

It had me log in in order to download the files, which seemed like it was the full OS because it took over an hour.

10. motrek macrumors 68020

Oh okay. Yes I think that almost certainly installed the OS on the drive then without any of your personal information.

11. SpasticPat thread starter macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

Yeah, I just got home from work and checked and it's on the welcome screen asking for language. I didn't go through this so that it doesn't reset itself up.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are all set. Just hit command-q to quit that setup and shut it down.

13. MacVibe macrumors regular

Is iLife also reinstalled? If not, how does the new user acquire iLife that came originally with the computer?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

iLife, unlike the OS, is tied to the owners AppleID, so the new owner would need to buy iLife under their own AppleID.

15. MacVibe macrumors regular

In the appstore, iLife apps aren't listed with a price, but with the word "essential". So, I think the answer is iLife is now free as long as the appstore is accessed with a modern OS, e.g. yosemite. So, they wouldn't be on the machine with a clean install but could be downloaded for free by a new user. If they aren't free, I suppose a new user would see a price instead of the word essential- but I don't know how to check that.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... they are only free with a new Mac. The App Store sees the UUID of the new machine and allows the new owner to sign in and "claim" their free iLife and iWorks apps. Subsequent owners of that Mac will not be given the free downloads, but will have to pay.

17. SpasticPat thread starter macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

Right. My friend ended up buying the Air and my Apple ID wasn't stored on the computer, he was able to login with his own. iLife did not come with the OS when I redownloaded it but was tied to my friend's Apple ID from his previous Mac so he was able to reinstall with that. Thank you all for your assistance, I truly appreciate it.

My sister had a problem where for some reason her iLife apps were not tied to her Apple ID and Apple had to send her the install discs in order for her to get them back. Not sure why, but they were unable to just sign them over to her ID digitally.