Selling MacBook and want it wiped clean

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ol23232, Mar 21, 2013.

1. ol23232 macrumors newbie

I want to sell my two MacBooks, white and black, both PPC, but want to wipe them clean before i give them away. How do i do that?

also, on one I am running the Windows for Mac Suite but it wouldn't let me transfer to my new MBP because it says the new one doesn't support PPC based applications. How can i get my Windows stuff on the new one without paying Microsoft more money for a new download?

thanks guys!

2. simsaladimbamba

Mac 101: Preparing your old Mac for sale or recycling

Use the Restore DVD #1 and do an Erase & Install using ZERO OUT as Secure Erase Option under the Erase tab in Disk Utility.

As for the two Mac using a PowerPC CPU, they are either iBooks or PowerBooks, the name of the notebook machine is inscribed on the bottom bezel part.

As you now have a Mac running either Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, it does not support running PowerPC applications anymore, thus you either try this guide, "Installing Snow Leopard (and Rosetta) into Parallels 7 in Lion", or buy MS Office 2008 for Mac or MS Office 2011 for Mac or even the current cloud versions.

PS: Windows is the name of the OS Microsoft distributes for personal computers.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

That guide is now out of date, as you can purchase Snow Leopard Server directly from The Apple Store for a discount of 95%: $19.99 + sales tax & shipping: 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only).

Parallels provides its own set of easy to follow instructions to install Snow Leopard Server and then regain access to Rosetta and your PowerPC apps concurrently while running Lion or Mt. Lion.

4. ol23232 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thank you both for the helpful information.

however, what if I do not have the CD or DVDs anymore?

how can i do it without any discs?

Thanks!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As long as all your personal information is stored in the Users folder, you can just create a new temp user account, then from that account delete your existing personal account and all its data. Short of a clean install, this is the next best thing. Maybe do a secure erase of free space from Disk Util afterwards.