selling MacBook for MacBook pro- need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macandipodfan, Jun 28, 2009.

1. macandipodfan macrumors member

I have a white 2.1 ghz (integrated graphics) core 2 duo MacBook. I have the opportunity to sell it for a 2.16 ghz core duo MacBook pro with no additional cost. My question is, will I notice a speed difference between the core duo and core 2 duo?

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

The core2 is 64 bit, the core duo is 32, that would be my biggest concern.

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yes, the MBP will be slower, and wont have 64 bit support(for snow leopard). Plus, it's not like the graphics card in the MBP is a hot performer by todays standards anyway.

Overall I just think it's a bad deal to trade your relatively new computer for one that's over 3 years old.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The two will be roughly the same in performance, although the MacBook is 64 bit while the MacBook Pro is 32 bit. Although the MacBook Pro's graphics card will be significantly better than the MacBooks and the screen will be larger.

Their MacBook is from 2007 while the MacBook Pro is from 2006. There really isn't a huge age difference between the two.

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

The 2.1 MB was released in early 2008 and was discontinued in 2009...

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Unless my eyes deceive me there appears to be a 2007 model as well...

Attached Files:

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

That's 2.16, but who knows which the OP is talking about.

I disagree that they will be roughly the same in performance. No way that an x1600 graphics card makes up for one less core. I think the OP will definitely notice a downgrade in performance if he does this trade.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What? What are you talking about, one less core? Both computers have two cores. Their GeekBench scores are within 100 points of each other, the only real difference is that one is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit as far as processing power goes...

9. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

Correct me if im wrong but Snow Leopard wont run on that MBP since the processor is 32 bit and snow leopard is strictly 64 bit
    so ifu wanna run snow leopard. keep that macbook
    i think the macbook is faster

10. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Ah you're right. I was thinking of intel core solo.

Wouldn't he take a hit in performance once snow leopard is out though?

And if his machine is in fact from 2008, I still think it's a bad trade to trade for something that has been in use for a while.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Snow Leopard works with all intel computers, not just the 64 bit computers. And the MacBook is slightly faster, although in real world tasks you wouldn't notice a difference.

12. Ryken macrumors newbie

It shouldn't take a hit in SL. Gotta remember guys, SL just UTILIZES 64 bit processing power better than leopard. This means increased performance on older hardware. This is tough because we are used to seeing new software being more resource dependent.

A 32 bit processor won't run slower on SL, it will simply not see the performance increase that a 64 bit processor will. It's not a matter of decreasing performance, it's a matter of how much increase you'll see.

That being said, I'd stick with your Macbook for the 64 bit core 2 duo. The c2d is a really great chip, and it should absolutely fly in SL.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'd stick with the Core 2 Duo just for 64-bit factor alone. There's no sense it keeping yourself a 32-bit with the Core Duo when computer technology is moving towards 64-bit.

14. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do have the 2008 model- it's the penryn model.
    I'll probably just save a bit more and get a core 2 duo, since I will be purchasing Snow Leopard.
    Would I notice a difference if I bought a Santa Rosa MacBook Pro rather than a Penryn?

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Is there a performance difference between the nvidia 9400 and the ati x1600?