Selling MacBook - Help needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by radionickhead, Jun 18, 2009.

1. radionickhead macrumors regular

I'm selling my MacBook on ebay along with some software that is already installed. My question is if there is any software that can delete any possibly saved information on my macbook that I don't want to hand over to the next owner.
    I.e Terminal logs/ general logs / maybe the cache in browser / e.t.c
    What should I delete?
    Thanks

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You should perform a complete format and reinstallation of OS X. Get your OS X disc, and put it into your machine. Restart and hold down the "C" key on the keyboard as you are doing so.

When the installer eventually loads, the first thing you want to do is go to Disk Utility from the menu bar and perform an "Erase". Make sure you select the security options of at least a single pass erase - this will ensure that the data is gone for good.

It will take some time, but it will be worth it. Once this is done, just go back to the installer and put a new version of OS X on there. Then it's just a matter of reinstalling the software and sending it to the buyer.

Remember - selling a computer on eBay with preinstalled software for which you do not include the licence is against the terms and conditions of the site. I'm completely against the practice because it artificially drives down the prices of other machines which don't have the software. If you don't sell the software licence with it (or if you never owned one in the first place) what right do you have to benefit from selling it?

3. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

You have a point, but it would be insane to include original cd's and licenses in the bundle cause then the overall price would be higher. People include pre-installed software for the purpose of gaining advantage over other sellers. I do agree with you though.
    On the other hand it doesn't quite answer my question - I'm wanting to avoid the formatting as it would be quite the hassle. Thanks for your input though.
    Anyone else?

4. Mr$Whale macrumors member

Nope, if you're reselling and at all worried about people getting any old data, you must reformat. Besides, most buyers would prefer to have a reformatted computer than look like they're using an old computer. Additionally, if you want to sell a computer for more, you gotta put the work into it (i.e. reformatting then either including the software disks or reinstalling the software).

5. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular