Selling MacBook - How to disassociate from me?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mcmul, Nov 6, 2011.

1. mcmul macrumors 6502

I'm going to sell my MacBook on eBay. However I want to completely disassociate the Mac from myself? Do you think I should just remove the hard drive and sell without it?

I've done the MOD '7 writes' standard erase to the laptop to zero out all of my data. But 1) I'm still a little paranoid and 2) I'm not sure if the copy of Lion left on the drive will be straight from my account?

What do you think I should do? What would you do?

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

7 pass wipe is sufficient. Unless the CIA are after you and really really want your files. ;)

3. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

I was hoping more of an opinion on installing the OS. Isn't the copy of Lion associated with my Apple account? How do I preload a generic OS without associating it with me? Just sell it without such things?

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Short answer - stick 10.6 back on it and the new owner buys their own copy of Lion then installs it.

Full answer - depends where the copy of Lion came from. If you purchased it from the Mac App Store then it is licensed to that account. It should be removed when selling the Mac and a previous licensed version re-instated.

If Lion came pre-installed on the Mac then the license is tagged to the machine.

5. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome. I'll install my store bought Snow Leopard copy and supply the disc as well.

Cheers, mate.