Selling Macbook, Keeping Windows 7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Centient, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Centient macrumors 6502

I've decided to sell both of my 2010 Macbooks. I have Windows 7 (W7) and Office 2010 installed via Boot Camp on both units and would like to keep them there when I put them up on eBay.

FYI, copies of W7 are legit but were part of the 'family' packs that MS sold. I'm concerned about whether I'll be able to reload the OS if I've wiped the system completely.

Is whether there is a way to wipe the W7 side data without wiping the OS? I think newer versions of Windows have that capability, but not sure whether W7 does.

Related, is there a way to wipe out data from the OSX side without wiping the entire disk?

Appreciate any advice on this. Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its part of a family pack the EULA may prevent you to from splitting it up. I don't think including windows 7 will increase the money you'll get too much so I'd probably not even bother, just to be safe but that's just me.

3. Centient thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Mike. I'm leaning that direction, it just seems a shame to lose both W7 and Office 2010.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're getting a new Mac, then why not use windows for that (though I think apple may have removed win7 support for new Macs). I hear you, I guess you can review what the EULA states regarding license transfers - you may have the ability.

5. Centient thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually getting a used MBP 2012 which I found for $450ish. So I probably could try to work with MS on getting the license flipped to the new machine. Doesn't hurt to ask. :)

6. Centient thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to close the loop (I know you've been waiting with bated breath). I did end up wiping out the drive, and selling one them via ebay with OSX only. I listed for a little over $300 and had a buyer within a couple of hours. Keeping the other for now.

Glad I decided to wipe and sell rather than jumping through hoops trying to get W7+Office to remain on there, as it's unlikely that would have netted me much more than I was able to sell for anyway.