Selling Macbook, looking for help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dotherocawear, Mar 7, 2010.

1. dotherocawear macrumors newbie

Hi, I tried searching these forums with a few different search terms but nothing came up for what i was looking for. I'm trying to find out the best way to clean up a macbook for resale to my cousin.

Ideally, I would like to put everything on my external and wipe the macbook clean so when she boots it up the first time it will be like a "new computer" experience.

2. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

back up your files. erase and re install osx. you can find out how to erase and install on the apple site under support

3. ptsube macrumors 6502

I would recommend using the the "7 pass" erase feature in the disc utility while reinstalling OS X. And after you have backed up all your data.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Just bear/bare (I should really know which of those to use) in mind that 7 pass erase will take seven times longer than the standard erase feature.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

...and is total overkill. Government agencies do not even recommend 7 passes. Unless you have serious security worries I would not worry with that many.

Edit* See article here

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

If you are selling it to your cousin, don't bother with any secure erase. Just format and reinstall is sufficient.

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Damnit, I was hoping the article would explain to me which version of bear/bare to use :p

Yeah I agree though. Don't bother with 7-pass or 35-pass, OP.

8. aquadjcity macrumors newbie

Follow these simple instructions. Before turning the old machine over to the new owner, I would reinstall Leopard or Snow Leopard (whichever your machine came with) using the erase and install method (erasing as thoroughly as you deem necessary). Then, I would quit the installation at the point you enter Setup Assistant At this point, don't enter any information. Instead, quit setup assistant using command+q and shut down the computer. By quitting, the new owner will get the machine exactly as it would have come from the factory.

Quoted from http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10632030&#10632030

I would use the simplest erase if I were selling it to my cousin.

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

link just so confusion is avoided in the future.