Selling Macbook - need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by getfuzzy77, Mar 5, 2009.

1. getfuzzy77 macrumors newbie

I bought my macbook for college, and now that I have graduated I don't need it any more. It is the 2.2Ghz with 4GB RAM, and 320GB hard drive. I have babied it with a keyboard cover, and an invisible shield. I am also selling it with a 6' VGA cable, the mini-DVI to VGA adapter, and a Samsonite Memory Foam case. I still have the documentation, restore discs, and, obviously, the power adapter. The battery shows 100% life.

I was thinking $950 for everything. Is this fair? I checked everymac.com and it seems to be a pretty good deal for a gently used macbook.

2. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

that sounds good to me. you could probably go a bit higher if you wanted

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Is it still under the original warranty and/or does it have AppleCare? How much time is left?

An active warranty will increase the resale value. Even more so if it's an extended with good time left until expiry.

4. getfuzzy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't buy AppleCare, but it has about 1 month left on the original warranty.

5. getfuzzy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I just need advice on where to sell my notebook. I don't quite trust Craigslist, but I guess it's a start. I would like to stay within my living area if possible. Any ideas? Has anyone had good experience with Craigslist?

6. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

i have had some great transactions on craigslist. just make sure to bring one or two friends(one who is muscular) and meet in a public place

7. kolax macrumors G3

If you have enough posts, the Market forum on MacRumors is a great place.

I always try to find local buyers - ask a mate who might know a mate or someone who'd be interested. Cash in hand, no postage to worry about.

Del Boy style.

8. getfuzzy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help.

I have been a member for a year, but haven't posted near 250 required posts to see the Market Place.

I work for a computer store, but I feel a little awkward telling someone I have a Macbook for sale. :eek: I will give Craigslist a try.