Selling Macbook, need quick advice!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ddk121, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ddk121 macrumors 6502

Hey!
    Planning to sell my Macbook this weekend, and obviously want to erase ALL the information that is on the hard drive. I have already used the 'erase and install' option to re-install Leopard on the computer. Is there anything else I can do to make sure the person who buys the computer cannot get access to secure details?
    Thanks

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If you really don't want anybody to see what is on you drive. You can do the 35-Pass Erase—This makes it absolutely impossible to regain any data off the drive. This option takes an extremely long time, possibly more than one day.

3. KruseF1 macrumors newbie

You have options for erasing your current OS. You can just erase and install a new OS over it. You can zero-out the drive, this literally writes zeros over your entire drive before installing the new OS making it harder to find information written underneath. You can zero-out your drive 1, 7, or 35 times. Depending on how big your drive is and how many files you have, the process can be very time consuming, but well worth it for security reasons.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yup. :)

I just did this myself recently. You'll wanna insert your factory install disc (#1) and boot up off that disc. Then go to the menu bar and select "Utilities"> Disk Utility.

That's where you'll find the option to select the HD and select erase (there'll be a smaller button w/ "options" or something like that... Then you can select zeroing the drive 1, 7, or 35 times like KruseF1 said.

I just selected one pass (but did that a total of three times) before eventually reinstalling the OS. :)

Best of luck, OP.