Selling Macbook, need to erase everything but have no CD

jbute2k2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
As the title says I am selling my Macbook and would like to erase everything off of it. However, I do not know the installation disk. Whats my next move? Any help?

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Find someone who does or download a free copy of some Linux distribution. That'll work too.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Find someone who does or download a free copy of some Linux distribution. That'll work too.
Indeed, anything which you can boot up directly from the disk and proceed to format the hard drive will do - Linux was mentioned simply because it's free and legal, I assume.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I would contact Apple and get the restore disks for that MacBook in that it will increase the value in order to sell it. I'm not sure what they charge but I think that it would be worth it.

TZRaceR6

Jun 8, 2010
United Kingdom
Buy Snow Leopard and erase and reload the OS.
Probably need to be careful how you word things. Some people, especially those new to Mac, could get confused and waste money. i.e. Snow Leopard is an update to 10.6, hence why it is only $39 at the store.
Would either need an original install disk with Leopard (then upgrade to Snow Leopard) or get an install disk that has 10.6.3 or newer on it.

There are sites that have this for download, but one site is for pirates. ;)

Cpup

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
I really hope you don't care
Probably need to be careful how you word things. Some people, especially those new to Mac, could get confused and waste money. i.e. Snow Leopard is an update to 10.6, hence why it is only $39 at the store.
Would either need an original install disk with Leopard (then upgrade to Snow Leopard) or get an install disk that has 10.6.3 or newer on it.

Correct that is very right.:apple:

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north

Actually, Snow Leopard is a full install disk of 10.6, so no money wasted here; just erase the hard drive and reload SL (you don't need Leopard first). Snow Leopard can be purchased for $29 new or cheaper on Craigslist.
Arggg to the pirates matey!

jbute2k2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Thanks for the help everyone got it cleared...now i'm just waiting on my Macbook Pro to get here!!!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.