Selling Macbook, need to erase everything but have no CD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jbute2k2, Aug 1, 2010.

1. jbute2k2 macrumors member

As the title says I am selling my Macbook and would like to erase everything off of it. However, I do not know the installation disk. Whats my next move? Any help?

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Find someone who does or download a free copy of some Linux distribution. That'll work too.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Indeed, anything which you can boot up directly from the disk and proceed to format the hard drive will do - Linux was mentioned simply because it's free and legal, I assume.

4. jbute2k2 thread starter macrumors member

Would the Apple Store have one I could use/buy?

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Buy Snow Leopard and erase and reload the OS.

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I would contact Apple and get the restore disks for that MacBook in that it will increase the value in order to sell it. I'm not sure what they charge but I think that it would be worth it.

7. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Probably need to be careful how you word things. Some people, especially those new to Mac, could get confused and waste money. i.e. Snow Leopard is an update to 10.6, hence why it is only $39 at the store.
    Would either need an original install disk with Leopard (then upgrade to Snow Leopard) or get an install disk that has 10.6.3 or newer on it.

There are sites that have this for download, but one site is for pirates. ;)

8. Cpup macrumors member

Correct that is very right.:apple:

9. eman macrumors 6502a

Actually, Snow Leopard is a full install disk of 10.6, so no money wasted here; just erase the hard drive and reload SL (you don't need Leopard first). Snow Leopard can be purchased for $29 new or cheaper on Craigslist.
    Arggg to the pirates matey!

10. jbute2k2 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help everyone got it cleared...now i'm just waiting on my Macbook Pro to get here!!!:D