Selling Macbook. Need to transfer registration?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by guthy-lux, Nov 5, 2008.

1. guthy-lux macrumors member

I'm selling my late 2007 macbook. I think it's still in one year warranty and you can buy Apple care protection plan anytime within a year, right?

The new owner seems to want to buy the Protection Plan. I think I registered the macbook. I was wondering if there's a process to transfer the registration so that she can extend the warranty. Or just need to bring it to apple store or she can do it by herself online?

Please let me know the details.

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

never thought about that but i would like to know too.

3. Mercellus macrumors regular

I'd contact AppleCare for further assistance with this, I'd imagine it can be transferred.

4. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

You don't need to do anything. The new owner can just re-register it, if he wants to. But it is not required for warranty. Apple has a database that keep track of the approximate sale date. You can go to the support page, enter any serial number and it'll tell you when the warranty expires.

In the event that the actual sale date is later than their database, they would require the receipt as proof. Hence, if you don't mind, pass on your receipt to the new buyer if this is the case.

5. haoqfu macrumors regular

i think so. last time i sold my ipod, the buyer wanted to transfer his old ipod applecare to it. he asked apple store and was told they need a letter from me to verify the ipod ownership transfer.

ask applestore, they might give you a template how the letter looks like.

6. guthy-lux thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the information.

When the buyer called me for the appointment, she said she wants me to sign on something. Maybe she already asked a store.

I thought like if she can't re-register the serial number unless I cancel, like saying "this number is already registered to other account". I went to myinfo.apple.com but no page shows my registered products.