Selling MacBook Pro Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Manning, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Manning macrumors member

Hello,

I have a 17" MacBook Pro I am looking to possibly sell and I have a few questions about it. Little backstory, I think something is wrong with my battery and heading to Apple Store tomorrow to see what exactly is wrong. I would like to "downgrade" to a smaller 13" MacBook *I think*. Would be easier to take around school on campus and taking to classes.

I have a 17" Macbook Pro 2.33 GHz, upgraded to 3GB Ram "Max" and a 500GB hard drive installed from a Western Digital Passport. It was bought in May 2007. Everything works fine except for the battery problems. No damages at all to it.

If I try to sell this what would be the best way to go about this?

Should I put back in the 160GB hard drive back into it so I can keep the 500GB one for my new Macbook?

Would eBay be the best place to sell this? And most importantly how much should I be expecting to get for it?

If the battery is shot would it be best to buy a new battery and sell it with the new battery? Its $130.

Thanks so much for any help, I hope that this is the best place to ask this question.

Tyler

EDIT: I have Apple Care on it, not sure exactly when it ends or if it would transfer to the new user or not. Any idea on that?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ask Apple to replace the battery because you have AppleCare left. AppleCare follows the item, not the buyer.

I would put 160GB HD in because you won't get that much extra from 500GB so you'll lose money. If Apple refuses to replace the battery, just sell it with current one, you won't get extra 130$ with better battery

3. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

I'd second hellhammer here. You probably wouldn't get enough extra money from the 500 gig hdd to warrant selling it, thus I'd keep it. You will find more use for it, especially with time machine etc. :)

PTP

4. Manning thread starter macrumors member

I figured it would be best to just swap back the hard drives.

I don't think AppleCare will cover me getting a new Battery.I did a little reading and it sounds like it has to be a manufactoring defect, not just because its on low battery time.