Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gPaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2008
I was just wondering about how I should go about it. I have a 2.33GHZ MacBook Pro 2 GB's of ram. I am not sure about the actual HD space, but it says this:FUJITSU MHW2120BH:

Capacity: 111.79 GB
Model: FUJITSU MHW2120BH
Revision: 00810013

I remember the last Mac I bought new said the actual HD space, instead of with all the space taken up, did they change this, and now it takes into account the space taken by formatting and OS? With iLife and Leopard installed the HD has 94 GB left. Does this mean it is qualified as 100GB hard drive?

Also, when selling, how should I leave the Mac and account and stuff? I'd rather not reinstall leopard and erase everything, cause then it would erase iLife and I only have a family disk for it that I still need. Or maybe it wouldn't? Anyways, all my files are already off the computer.

Also, what is a good price for this computer?

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
That would be a 120gb hard drive. Wipe your hard drive clean. I mean clean. Erase everything! I would recommend using the disk utility and start writing zeros to securly erase your data. Reinstall the OS with the original install disks and close the lid when the computer prompts you to create your first-time user account.

Price? I'd say 1200-1400

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 38

gPaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2008
That would be a 120gb hard drive. Wipe your hard drive clean. I mean clean. Erase everything! I would recommend using the disk utility and start writing zeros to securly erase your data. Reinstall the OS with the original install disks and close the lid when the computer prompts you to create your first-time user account.

Price? I'd say 1200-1400

I don't understand, that's what I thought it would be considered, but how is it possible and why does it say 111?

Also, I've already erased everything with zeroes, then I made an account to put iLife on. Should I reinstall again or can you just delete the account so they can make one?

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I don't understand, that's what I thought it would be considered, but how is it possible and why does it say 111?

See this link about the hard drive discrepancy.

Also, I've already erased everything with zeroes, then I made an account to put iLife on. Should I reinstall again or can you just delete the account so they can make one?

Sounds like you took care of everything. :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

The 111GB is in binary of the decimal 120GB. In binary 111GB is around 120,000,000,000 (that's 120 billion) bytes and since giga = billion, 120GB is 120 billion bytes. That's how it's advertised. Unfortunately computers only know binary so 120 billion bytes is really 111GB. 120 gigabytes is not the same as 120 billion bytes. The new notation to is GiB and GB for binary and decimal, respectively, but computers haven't implemented that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.