Selling MacBook Pro to neighbor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ski2moro, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ski2moro macrumors 6502

A neighbor asked me for advice about switching to a Mac and before long I asked if he would be interested in buying a used one...mine. He asked how much and I have no idea. It's one of the first 17 inch models to come out, so in early May it will be 2 years old. With Apple Care. I bought it with my Education discount.

Where can I go to find out what it's worth?

The computer has been fine so far, and I would not hesitate to sell it to a friend. On the other hand, I want as much as I can get.

17 inch MacBook Pro
    2.16 Intel Core Duo
    2 GB RAM
    Leopard 10.5.1
    ILife 08
    Boot Camp with legal copy of XP Pro
    I have one of the Seagate 7.01 hard drives, but no problems - yet
    No dead pixels or yellowing of the screen
    Case is immaculate - no scratches.
    Battery was replaced under warranty about a year ago due to warping.

I'll get a new one after Macworld.

Will Apple Care transfer to him?

What do you think it's worth?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Yes. I forget the whole process, but I did it when I sold my PowerBook G4. I think you have to call AppleCare and have them change it with his information.

What I've done in the past for a general estimate is go look on eBay and see what the same model is going for. I'm sorry that I couldn't be more help on what it's worth.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

letter

You actually have to send some sort of letter transferring the AppleCare to Austin. Since Apple Care is a contract, a phone call won't do.

It's pretty simple though.

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

http://cgi.ebay.com/17-APPLE-MACBOO...yZ140065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd put that... or there is another one with a buy it now for 2k going for 3 days or so... on your watch list.

mac2sell says it's worth about 1430... but there is still another year of applecare on it... and they are a bit low...

somewhere between 1500 and 1750.

I'd say 1600 ish would probably be a fair price... especially with a full copy of xp and such as well.

5. Wilson1984 macrumors newbie

I'd say 1300.00 would be fair. If it was 2600.00 new , thats half of what you paid for it, and you used it for two years. If you want to charge for apple care, I would say 1/6 of the price you paid for it would be fair. (As its a 3 year contract and you have one year left, and half of the price you paid)

I could justify 1400 becuse you upgrade to leopard and , have the cost of xp on there. (If xp is worth anything to the person switching)

6. ski2moro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your responses.

Having XP already installed is the big seller for him. He needs to use XP to work from home (the company's software is PC based and too graphics- intensive for Parallels, I'm afraid) and wants a Mac for photos, movies and the ease of use. He hates the idea of Vista and all the crapware on new PCs. He wants a notebook because he travels a lot.

He's a middle-aged man with more money than sense.

I suspect that he will over here a lot asking me lots of questions, just as any Switcher would.

Considering that, I don't mind asking him for top dollar.

7. je1ani macrumors 6502

The going rate on that machine is very low. $1300 Seems perfectly acceptable since C2Ds are usually 14-1500

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I think 1500 is fair, especially if you're going to be providing him tech support.

As far as Applecare goes, it's extremely simple. Just send Applecare a fax with the new owner of the computer (address, email, phone #) along with original proof of purchase and ask them to change it. In a few days he'll get an email confirming the change and in a couple weeks he'll get the new paperwork.