Selling Macbook, setting up new user account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jjk454ss, Dec 28, 2008.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I am selling my Macbook. Is there a way to remove the existing account, and have it ready for the next person to setup there account like the computer was just purchased? So the first time they turn it on they set the language and username and other account info?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you have the restore disks that came with the computer (you should if you're selling it). Just toss the DVD in and reload the OS. This will wipe the accounts and they'll get a machine that appears brand new. :)

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I did that, but I setup a new account so I could go in and install all the updates. Now I have a new account, not a big deal, it is just fake info I entered. I just thought it would be nicer for the new owner to setup there own account.

Thanks for the quick reply

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

6. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I also would recommend a complete erase of the hard disk (which is an option when booting 10.3 and newer from the CD). This ensures that your old data you have never makes it to ID thieves.

This has happened before when people buy a laptop on ebay, and find lots of juicy data the former owner hasn't removed, or deleted but not actually erased.