Selling MacBook to iFixit -- Safe?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NikolasMason, Oct 22, 2008.

1. NikolasMason macrumors member

I'm going to sell my MacBook (early 2008), and iFixit has made me an offer of $675. Is it safe to sell it to them? I mean I assumed they were a big name company, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any experience selling to them?

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I've bought from them, but never sold. I think they're ok though. One of the best around for working on out-of-warranty MacBooks. They're always the first to post a teardown of new Apple products.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They're reputable. Haven't seen a lot of discussion of people selling used Macs to them, but when it comes to product take-apart guides and parts, they're some of the top people in the business. I wouldn't have any hesitation doing business with them.

That said, you can generally do better by selling directly on your own, as it cuts out the middle man. Of course, there are hassles and risks that go along with it, so it's always a matter of preference.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

There are early posts where people have done this with great success. If it is the best deal around I'd do it.

5. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I think it's safe, though if it were me I'd pop the hard drive and sell it without, or use something like Darik's Nuke and Boot (though I don't know if that'll boot from EFI).

Plus you'd be getting decent money as well as potentially helping another Mac user down the road who needs a part.