Selling MacBook without HD. Will internet history/forms show?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OllieDS, Sep 2, 2013.

1. OllieDS macrumors member

Selling MacBook without HD. Will internet history/forms show?

Hi. My HDD packed in and I decided it was time for a change anyway.

I've put my MacBook Pro on eBay without the HDD (I've removed it).

Now my question is, on Safari & Chrome I will have my Internet History/Forms/Passwords on there.

So lets say someone buys my MacBook and a new HDD, will these History/Forms/Passwords show up when they go on Safari/Chrome or will it not? I ask this because I'm not sure if this data is stored on the HDD or Ram.

Any help would be appriciated, Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Data is stored on the HDD for longer availability and is not deleted unless one deletes it oneself or the HDD is failing.
    RAM is volatile and temporary, thus data is not stored there indefinitely. Data in RAM gets deleted once the computer restarts or is shut off.

PS: One thread per issue does suffice.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

In short: no.

Since you removed the HDD (that's where this information would be saved), anyone who buys your MBP will have to put in their own.

4. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

What about when they log in? Will they see all my iCloud information such as Notes/Stickies that I use on my iPhone?

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Only if they log in with your iCloud email and password, which they don't know.

If you are selling the machine with no HDD then there is no data related to your iCloud account or the user account on your Mac or anything that was installed on that Mac.

RAM no longer contains any information once the machine has been powered down.

6. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the information.

7. mattward macrumors newbie

when whoever purchases your computer installs a new HDD int he macbook it will be like a totally new computer from the time you owned, and had your information on it. The only way the new owner could see your info. is if they somehow new your iCloud or iTunes login credentials.
    matt