Selling macs... system restore???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thechidz, Oct 23, 2007.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Hi,

I am going to sell my mac g4 tower and white macbook to upgrade to a MBP. I want to restore my mac osx so that none of my info is available, but so that when the new buyer first turns on the mac its just like they are starting it new, and so that they can have the microsoft office suite, protools and other applications that I loaded on the systems... Please any help in how to do this is much much appreciated. Thanks!:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

Okay, you need to have a couple of things available:

1) Tiger Install disk
    2) Microsoft Office Install disk
    3) Any other installation disks

Next, first put the Tiger Install Disk into both machines, when prompted about what you want to do, choose "Erase and Install". This will clean out your machines completely and restore them to a brand-new status. They will be as if you just bought them brand-new.

Next, install all your apps that you want the client or buyer to have. Keep in mind that doing so, you are selling your applications, so you technically don't own the rights to that software anymore.

Anyways, I did this when I sold my iMac G5 20" to buy my 17" MacBook Pro. The buyer loved it, plus it seems to run faster when it's nice and clean!

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You need to "zero out" your drive when you erase is. See the Options button in Disk Utilities. If you don't zero your drive out then all you'll be doing is erasing the directory. Any weekend geek can reconstruct your hard drive from that state. If you are really paranoid you can do the double zero out but that takes a looooong time (hours).

4. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

great thanks! and basically if I copy my everything from my disc drive to an external HD I can reload it on my new MBP correct?