Selling MB and Mini for iMac or MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jstad, Oct 16, 2007.

  1. jstad macrumors regular

    jstad

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    #1
    I currently own a Macbook (Core 2 Duo, Combo Drive, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD) and a Mac Mini (Core Duo, Superdrive, 80GB HD - from MB, 2GB RAM). I am receiving a free laptop from HP for my work as a Microsoft Campus Rep (ironic!?). It is a tablet PC valued at ~$1000-1200. I know I have NO use for 3 computers (let alone I rarely use the mini as is). So now I am deciding which to sell, which to keep, etc. I am a developer so running on a Intel Mac is very nice for developing on *nix, OSX, and Windows (Visual Studio).

    So what should I sell and what should I keep? I have debated:
    - Selling the new laptop tablet, the mac mini and the my Dell 20" Widescreen LCD for an iMac.
    - Selling my mac mini and keeping the macbook and tablet
    - Selling the macbook and mac mini and getting a MBP

    Any suggestions? My main concerns are just having 1 (maybe 2) machine(s) that can do all the development work I need and maybe do some DX9 gaming (like the macbook sometimes can do).

    ALL suggestions are appreciated. :apple:
     
  2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

    GimmeSlack12

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #2
    I say ditch the Mini. At least the MB is portable. Ditch the Tablet too if you can use your MB for work stuff.
     
  3. jstad thread starter macrumors regular

    jstad

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    #3
    And just save the money? tempting.. any other ideas?
     
  4. dogbait macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2005
    Location:
    London, England
    #4
    Well if you're good enough (and I mean GOOD) you could always ditch all three and code using paper and pen.

    We're talking hardcore programmers here, but like I said - if you're good enough ;)

    (Seriously - I would sell the mini and either the macbook or tablet depending on which has a better resale value, and get myself a nice iMac which I've found plays Supreme Commander just fine)
     
  5. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #5
    out of those, it seems selling the Mini should be part of the plan. you have to decide between an iMac and MBP though
     
  6. Denali9 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2007
    #6
    Mbp

    Why keep one of the device? Sell all three and get a MBP if you need some portability and you get a graphic card that support DX9 and 10!

    If you are afraid of lost productivity in case of failure, I'd say keep the mini as a backup computer since it probably has the lowest resale value.

    I do similar work (though never got a free computer, lucky u) and the MBP SR is fantastic and I bought a bigger HD in order to install XP and Vista for testing and some development. I am actually using the Windows side of thing less and less.

    Good luck
     
  7. samuraikiss macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2007
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #7
    I agree, sell all three and buy a Macbook Pro. That's probably the best option for your situation.
     
  8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

    GimmeSlack12

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #8
    Less computers is easier to deal with. If you can get it done with one machine then do it. More computers seems cool, but ultimately is kind of a headache.
     
  9. devilot Moderator emeritus

    devilot

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    #9
    Fewer computers might be simpler yes, but it can be downright dismal if your one and only Mac goes in for repairs. ;) (I have awful Apple hardware luck so I do have to take this into consideration :eek:)
     
  10. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #10
    that's true. and obviously you can do more with more computers
     
  11. jstad thread starter macrumors regular

    jstad

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    #11
    I am thinking of going with an iMac and then the tablet. I figure that to do most of my coding anyway I need to sit down and think/plan out the design and code it. While I rarely throw open my laptop to just code 12 lines (and if I did, I could suffer on the tablet). I also could then sell my 20" dell screen and just have an all in one solution.

    Questions on the imac's though, what model should I look for? (20" or higher, but go with a Core Duo? to save some green?) I am hoping to get $1500 for the MB and the Mini. Specs of them listed here: http://www.resourcefulidiot.com/macs_for_sale/
     
  12. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #12
    well it depends on how much money you want to spend, as far as what size to get.

    you might be able to squeeze out $1500, but that won't be easy
     

Share This Page