Selling MBP 13 Early 2011

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thinkinblue613, Aug 10, 2012.

1. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Hey guys,

I'm a college student and need help deciding what setup I should sell my MBP 13 2.3GHz Early 2011. The reason I am upgrading is, because I need a laptop with a dedicated graphics card and more screen real estate. 1280 x 800 is too small to do hours of work without feeling too cramped.

I currently have this setup:
    8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD
    AppleCare until March 2014

I was deciding between switching the hard drives, because I have a 320 GB and 500 GB I'd rather have in instead. I want to keep the 256 GB SSD unless I get the Retina MBP.

I'm planning on replacing it with one of these with a budget of $2,000-2,500.

- Macbook Pro 15" Hi-Res Anti-glare (higher end, I'll put my 256 GB SSD in)
    - Macbook Pro 15" Retina (lower end, with 16 GB RAM)

Should I state on my listing that if it goes past a certain price, I'll put the SSD in it? Or would it be better I keep the SSD for myself and throw the stock HDD and 8GB RAM?

Also, any suggestions on my replacements are welcome. Thanks for reading and the help! :apple:

2. donklaus macrumors member

So, hours of work?

If you're experiencing screen limitation after "hours of work," it sounds like you're working in a fixed location. Why not add an external monitor? You have a great machine that will last, and lots of ways to spend a couple grand in the near future. I'd say just keep it (I'm typing on a virtually identical machine, with 7400 RPM Scorpio Black instead of an SSD, and it's hella fast for business work).

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Most people purchasing a used MBP dont care about upgrades (SSD, more RAM, etc) especially on CL and somewhat on eBay. Marketplace here is a different story.

If you sell take out SSD - keep RAM in it if you are moving up to a 2012 model - RAM is different between 2011 and 2012.

If you absolutely have to have that dedicated video card then sell - if not - an external display is a "cheaper" solution.