Selling MBP - Buying iMac (WHEN?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dinamo9, Aug 15, 2009.

  1. dinamo9 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2008
    #1
    Hey Everyone,

    I am hear to ask for advice around when I should sell my MBP and buy an iMac.

    Macbook Pro I am Selling -
    Purchased: March 28th, 2008
    15.4-inch
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB (PC2-5300)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    200GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
    8x SuperDrive
    Selling for: $1250

    iMac I am considering buying
    24" Screen
    2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    640GB Serial ATA Drive
    Price with Student Discount: $1679
    Price after selling included free Ipod Touch: $1479
    Planned Purchased Date: September 4th, 2009

    At this time, it is basically a $230 upgrade to the iMac.

    What I noticed after reading the buying guide is that new iMacs may be coming out soon.

    Would you suggest I hold on to the MBP until the new iMac's come out, or just go with this deal now while the iPod touch is on for free?

    Thanks for the advice!
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    Do you need more power? 1250$ is quite high price for your MBP because 8600M GT is the defective GPU so buyers may avoid it.
     
  3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
  4. dinamo9 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2008
    #4
    It is possible I may get into some design and video editing, so a big screen would be nice.

    Thanks for pointing out the defective GPU thing, I wasn't aware of the problem and found on apples website they cover it for three years

    "In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within three years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty."
     
  5. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #5
    Current gen will be fine for that but I would stick with your MBP and wait for refresh. Yea the warranty is 3 years but at least I would avoid buying a computer which I know is defective and needs repair sooner than later. 1250$ is very high price because previous gen 2.4GHz MBP with 9600GT is 1349$ through refurb store, but if someone is ready to pay 1250$ for it, sure, it's a great deal for you.
     
  6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #6
    Sell. I could not sell my MacBook Pro for that price.
    And it was:
    17"
    2.5 ghz
    2GB
    250GB
    512 MB Video

    Purchased November of 2008.
     
  7. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

    MacFanUK

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #7
    I also don't think it's likely that you'll get $200 for the iPod Touch - they're not selling for that much now, let alone when they get updated in September.
     
  8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #8
    I will clarify what I said earlier:
    If you have a deal for your notebook, sell it. Even if you have to buy a cheaper older Mac to use before the iMac's you are getting way over market value for it.

    If you do not have an offer at that, do not do anything; but, by all means, do not bank on selling your notebook at that price.
     
  9. dinamo9 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2008
    #9
    I ended up selling it for $1100 Cash today.

    Now I have to decide to buy now or wait.
     

Share This Page