Selling MBP on EBay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobbydd21, Aug 25, 2013.

1. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

Just wondering the experiences you guys have had with selling MacBook Pros on eBay. If and when I decide to sell my current rMBP it would probably be done on eBay considering some of the safety risks with selling on Craigslist. However, I have heard some stories of people getting scammed but I wanted to see how many people have had success selling on eBay. I do sell on ebay a lot so I know the rules and what not to protect yourself but I have heard sometimes it still does not go well. Thanks!

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Never list anything on eBay that you can't afford to lose. For selling a MacBook Pro, I would take Craigslist or a local newspaper ad every day of the week.

3. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

:confused:

Why would you lose it? You won't send the item until you are paid through Paypal?!

4. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

I've never had an issue with selling computers on eBay, especially now that you can restrict people from certain areas of the world from even placing a bid.

I've sold numerous MacBooks, iPads, iPhones, etc. All with no issue.

5. leman macrumors 604

I don't understand how you can get scammed as a seller? Only send the item after you have received the money and that's it.

6. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

sell on Amazon, I have sold laptops there, no problems, no scams..

7. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

If you sell using PayPal, then Nope. Buyer says he never received it (even if you have proof of postage - all you sent was an empty box). EBay/PayPal will usually take the side of the buyer. If all you do is to want to sell one time, then in some cases you can just withdraw the funds from PayPal and that's it. In other cases, PayPal keeps the money until the buyer says it's OK.

See the catch ?

8. scbond macrumors 6502

There's a chargeback scam which runs rife on eBay/PayPal but all you can do is keep the tracking number. If it happens then all you can do is try to fight it at the time.