Selling MBP Penryn for the new one Tuesday?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac mac mac, Oct 11, 2008.

1. mac mac mac macrumors regular

I have a 15" MPB Penryn for 7.5 months, do you think I should sell it and get the new one Tuesday?

If it's just a speed bump, I wouldn't even consider it. But with the new case, it's tempting because I feel like my laptop will look dated when the new one releases in a few days. And I only have the laptop for less than 8 months!

What do you think? This is my first Mac.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sell it right now if you really want a new one.

8600M GT...

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Why the hurry? Wait and see what the new models are like. Then wait a little while further to see if any glitches which they contain are ironed out. However, if there really is a seismic change to the line-up (which I doubt, though I may be wrong) consider a change. Nonetheless, if you are happy with your current model, why sell, and wait and see what is unveiled next week. If, however, you feel you must change your computer, why go right ahead. After all, it's your decision.
    Cheers

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

From the looks of it, the new MBP isn't going to look far different from the current MBP, except the new model will probably have black keys and the chicklet keyboard.

I don't know. The old keyboard was awesome.

I'd keep your laptop until the 2nd revision of the new MBP. Just wait for them to work out the flaws. There will be flaws. Look at the rev A. MacBooks (I got mine repaired 8 times, and eventually got it replaced for free by Apple), rev A 15" MBPs, iPhone 2G, 3G, MBA, etc. Apple doesn't make flawless 1st generation products.

5. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

usually a mac will last someone a good 3 years. you're right, unless the processor is a quad you will not notice a difference in speed. the case redesign is a cosmetic update. do you go out and buy a new ipod or iphone when a new generation comes out? a computer is different because of the price. it gets expensive. you might want to settle down and use the machine until it runs its life course. by then you won't just have a minor speed increase and case design, youll have a quad core with bluray burner (not reader), higher rez screen, larger ram capacities, dual gpu's, etc. this will be a relatively minor update in my opinion. they're just prepping these machines for snow leopard that will be available next year. keyword = prepping. next year and in 2010 you will see major changes in the products. now they are just prepping.