Selling MBP SR for MB + custom gaming PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr.Pibb, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Mr.Pibb macrumors newbie

Mr.Pibb

So here's the deal. I splurged on the MBP SR in hopes to use it as a music production DAW on the mac side, and playing some games on the Windows partition. Now that it's pretty much dated, I'm wondering if selling it would possibly get me enough cash to buy a Macbook, which should handle my music production, and build a gaming rig with the leftovers.

The specs are the stock 2.2 Santa Rosa MBP with 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, and 128 MB 8600 GT.

I figured I could at least get the current standard MacBook for $1099 + tax and would only need about $600-$700 to build a gaming rig. This brings me to around $1800 for my MBP. Does anyone know If I could get close to this amount?

2. marioblackman23 macrumors member

Nope! Thas pretty much an unrealistic hope right there apple sells brand new SR MBP 2.2 for $1700 + tax or refurbished ones for $1449 + tax and both these come with a limited one year warranty. so i think its unreasonable that you ask for such a high amount, Do you have applecare on your laptop?

3. Mr.Pibb thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr.Pibb

Ah, I was just curious because I did see even some pre-SR MBPs, the 2.33 ghz ones going for $1,700 on ebay. At least thats what some were willing to pay.

I don't have Apple care yet. I will be getting it soon however as my 1 year warrenty still lasts until June.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think he'll get more than you think.

Around 2 years ago, I sold a 3 year old 12" G4 1 GHz PowerBook with 1 GB of RAM and 40 GB harddrive for $850 on eBay. That was 5 months or so after the MacBooks were already released. The harddrive was dying, and the corner of the PB was scratched a bit. Nothing major. I bought the MacBook for almost no additional money. Amazing, really.

Besides, if you have ANY experience with used Macs, you'll know they don't lose value that quickly. If others are getting that much money for it right now, I think you can sell it for around $1600+ even if your luck is bad.

5. Entourage12 macrumors member

Just out of curiousity, a little off topic, what specs of gaming rig could you get with $600-$700?

And where would you buy it from?

6. Mr.Pibb thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr.Pibb

Newegg.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz - $209.99
    ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 - $169.99
    Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM - $60.99
    EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 - $189.99
    Corsair 550W - $99

total: $729.96

This would be of course re-using the case, hard disk drive and operating system of an old rig.