Selling MBP to buy Dell Studio 17"!!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rob587, May 25, 2010.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Does that make me a bad person? Jobs' inovativity(perfect word for it lol) makes me scared to not own an Apple, but I want a gaming computer that I can bring home from law school over the summers.

I can sell the MBP in my sig and get a new Dell Studio 17"(i5 2.53 turbo, 4gb ram, ati hd 5650, 500gb hd) for only like $100..... how can I not do this? :(

2. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

I'd say you'd have no trouble selling your current MBP

3. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

God I know.. thats not the problem. I guess im having mac selling anxiety, but considering my situation, its worth it right?

Ill probably get a $200 netbook to throw in my bag for class, but pretty much over night ill be going from mac addict to 2 windows laptops.. "Im a PC and windows 7 was my idea"... gross. Something ive always despised.

4. tdgrn macrumors 6502

why not build a gaming desktop and buy an ipad ... best of both worlds for what you are looking for, at least that is what it sounds like

5. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I think you've invested too much of your self-image in gadgetry. A computer is just a tool. You've decided a different tool will work better for your needs. Would you get this worked up if we were talking about hammers? I think not.

Go in peace. ;) Apple will still be here if you want to buy a new one.

6. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I struggle with this too. Where I work I can switch between Dell Latitudes and a MBP 2.4 pre unibody. I'd get mad at one, and grab the other for a few months, then switch again. Been doing that for 3 years or so. Now I'm finished. I am back with the MBP to stay. And probably will actually pony up and buy a new MPB. The Dell with Win 7, which is really very good, took 45 seconds or longer to come out of sleep. The MBP? About 5 seconds. Plus I had the cursor stop at random for about 5-10 seconds then come to life again on the Dells. All the hardware was fine. I did a clean Win 7 install a few times. I still had these pauses. Not sure what the thing was doing. Now the MBP isn't perfect. I see some beach ball time. And some things are easier with Win7.
    But at the end of the day, the MBP won. One thing I do note, is the MBP I use is 3 years old, and it seems to run better than the Dell which was new in a box over the three years (D800, 820, 830, E6500). The Mac stayed consistent. The Dells I have had slowed over time. I really feel the 2007 MBP I use run faster and leaner than the latest Dell Latitude.
    I can buy a new Dell, and a year later, I'd want to replace it. If I buy a new MBP, I really feel I won't be feeling the need to upgrade for at least three years. that helps offset the outrageous price difference between a Dell and an Apple.

7. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

But then I wont have a keyboard for class, that is if your suggesting using the iPad for that. And I wont have my powerful gaming system when I travel home for summer.

These things are a way larger part of life than any hammer :p

sounds so scary lol :D and it makes me feel like your going to steal my mbp from me. lolol Im too attached to this damn thing.

You hit the nail on the head with a lot of what im thinking. Now that I am getting back into gaming, I just cant seem to sit here holding my MBP which I could basically trade straight up for a Dell Studio 17" gaming beast! :(

Ive also thought about just using the money from selling my mbp to build a gaming desktop and to buy a white macbook refurb for class and travel, but then I have kind of a useless internet browsing only laptop when I travel or go home... (no offense to macbook owners. I mainly game)

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

How will you survive law school if you game? :(
    Your clients will be piss! :D

9. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Hey, I like my Mac, too! :) But if it stopped working for my needs, I'd change. You have a perfectly understandable reason to make a switch -- you like gaming. After law school you'll have more money to buy another MBP if you want one.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's exactly what I did... only, with a much older Macbook Pro and a thin and light Dell. I still have my MBP, but I'm trying to get rid of it. Ever since moving to Windows 7 (and not needing to use final cut), I don't miss OS X at all. If you do your homework right, you'll be able to find hardware that is even nicer than a Macbook Pro.

11. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

you wouldnt do the thing(build gaming pc and buy refurb macbook) I mentioned earlier right?

12. Christina1971 macrumors regular

*I* wouldn't....but that's because I don't know how to build a computer and this gaming thing doesn't mean much to me. That's just me, though. It sounds like the homemade computer/Macbook combo wouldn't be as useful to you as the computer you first started talking about (the Dell Studio thingie.)

13. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

No laptop is a powerful gaming computer. If you really want to game build a desktop or buy a xbox360/ps3/wii.

Not really. They are just tools. If one works better for you than another one then use it instead. I think people get too caught up in defining themselves by the type of computer they own. A friend of mine said the other day he wanted to sell his Mac because too many people own them now. WTF? Either it does what you need it to do or it doesn't.

14. budugu macrumors 6502

Why a dell studio 17" ... when you can get a 17" M17x alienware with quadcore + SLI 2x1GB graphics cards for 1200$? There is a 50% off deal going on at the microsoft store if you are interested in gaming.

15. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Even though i would hate to see the mbp go its hard to argue against a pc laptop for gaming.

16. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Whuuuhht??!! What is this microsoft store you speak of?

17. a4cab03 macrumors newbie

18. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

19. AlaskaMacHead macrumors newbie

Dude, you may be getting a Dell,....but....if you're in law school, doncha know you're supposed to be interning over the summers, not gaming! Good luck, though :D

20. Stepint0sh macrumors member

You are only thinking about hardware, what about software? What about Mac OS X? :)

21. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

They just emailed me back and said that they were only running that promotion while they were in stock. So its over. And they started it on like the 25th. Sounds pretty stupid to me. I was basically right about it being bait and switch lol.

What? That comment is from left field. Mac OS X or not, I need good hardware for gaming bro.

Man now im having trouble deciding between the dell studio 17 and the hp 17" models. you can almost create the exact same specs and they are the same price. Or get the envy 17 for $200 more with a hd 5850.

Any opinions?

22. budugu macrumors 6502

Usually they are for clearing out the inventory (the cpu was a previous generation quadcore). The deal was at 1400 for a week and then couple of days ago they upped it to 1200$. Usually they have decent number in stock (i got my dell adamo from there). I am sorry the deal expired. :(

Also Envy looks infinitely better than DELL studio! Even G72t is! Envy is like having a bronze/brass MBP!!

23. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

lol what do you mean by bronze/brass?

24. bericd macrumors member

Size matters

One thing you might be overlooking is the effect of lugging a 17" laptop around with you - especially putting it on a desk in lectures at school. Everyone I've met who has tried a 17" laptop has regretted not getting a smaller one and plugging it into an external monitor when they needed the space.

25. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

Like I said before, if gaming is that important to you get a low cost gaming desktop. You'll get a much better game machine for a much lower price. It'll also be upgradable so you can easily change video cards to keep it current.

From there decide what kind of laptop you want for school. Once you've satisfied the gaming computer then you can get a laptop that is actually for school. Thinking back the most important requirements to me while I was in school was battery life, portability, and durability.

Going home for the summer is basically like moving. Put the tower in your car and off you go.