Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
It's not a 9% difference. The performance of the 1.1 is going to be similar to a 2011 Macbook Air, while the 1.2 exceeds the 2015 Macbook Air. If you think what you are doing would be okay on a 2011 Macbook Air, then go for the 1.1.

Really? The 1.2 GHz exceeds the 2015 MacBook Air? What have you seen about the 1.3GHz?

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
Really? The 1.2 GHz exceeds the 2015 MacBook Air? What have you seen about the 1.3GHz?

That's not really true.

Here's all the geek bench for all macs compared. It's more equivalent to a 2013 11" MBA. Search for Macbook (early 2015)

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

There have been reports for the 1.3, but I wouldn't believe them until they end up in people's hands. Also, I think that while the benchmarks are like a 2013 MBA, the rMB will probably feel faster due to the increased RAM and PCIe SSD that the MBA didn't have then.

emoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Just out of curiosity, which tasks do you perceive to be slower? I am just curious where you notice it.

I am not a super creative type so I don't do a lot of video/media stuff.

Most of what I do is web dev and testing.

Obviously some full clean Xcode compiles take incrementally longer but that doesn't really matter as I don't do those all the time.

Starting up the iOS debugger is def slower than on the Macbook but still quite usable.

Some SoapUI regression tests bog down when I am running lots (>10) concurrent service tests.

I have also been used to getting really lazy about running VM's in the background and not pausing them. Sometimes 2 at a time. I feel like I have to be a tad more aware but thats not really a bad thing.

There is nothing that "just doesn't work" or is so slow its unusable. I am more than capable of making my high spec MBPro run like crap after I abuse it long enough. I think the threshold here is just lower.

Non work - I am playing Beyond Earth just fine - keeping settings reasonable and not trying to play epic campaigns but it works great.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
That's not really true.

Here's all the geek bench for all macs compared. It's more equivalent to a 2013 11" MBA. Search for Macbook (early 2015)

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

There have been reports for the 1.3, but I wouldn't believe them until they end up in people's hands. Also, I think that while the benchmarks are like a 2013 MBA, the rMB will probably feel faster due to the increased RAM and PCIe SSD that the MBA didn't have then.

Ah, excellent point. I have a 1.1GHz and have requested a return label from Apple, which gives me until May 2nd to send in my 1.1GHz in order to upgrade to the 1.3GHz. Hoping some reviews will come in before then. We shall see. Thanks for the response.

Fineance

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
There have been reports for the 1.3, but I wouldn't believe them until they end up in people's hands.

Somewhere, I thought I read that the in-store display models were running the 1.3 GHz. While I find this hard to believe, I forgot to look when I was at the store last. Can anyone confirm (or deny) this?

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
Somewhere, I thought I read that the in-store display models were running the 1.3 GHz. While I find this hard to believe, I forgot to look when I was at the store last. Can anyone confirm (or deny) this?

I think the ones at the keynote were running the 1.3.

The rMBs in my local store were 1.1s

tech324

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010

All six of the macbooks that were in the Apple store by me were the 1.1 ghz version. I checked all 6 myself. They didn't have any 1.2 or 1.3 on display.

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
USA
My 1.1 came on Friday and upon all-day use, it exceeds the performance of the 2011 Airs. Sure, the benchmarks show otherwise, but I like to take user experience more heavily.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
My 1.1 came on Friday and upon all-day use, it exceeds the performance of the 2011 Airs. Sure, the benchmarks show otherwise, but I like to take user experience more heavily.

Sooooo we were worried about a 2015 computer being able to out benchmark a 2011 computer?

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
USA
Sooooo we were worried about a 2015 computer being able to out benchmark a 2011 computer?

No - my point was that half the people on this forum have their panties in a wad about the benchmarks when everyone that ACTUALLY OWNS ONE is saying they're great.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Sure the CPU benchmarks are not the best but we all know, or hopefully should know, that RAM and SSD speeds are more important to the average user.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Sure the CPU benchmarks are not the best but we all know, or hopefully should know, that RAM and SSD speeds are more important to the average user.
That really depends on your definition of 'average user'. The weakpoint of the new macbook is clearly the cpu. There aren't many possible operations were ssd speeds or RAM would make a difference. The cpu on the other hand is the important factor when it comes to even basic operations.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Seems to me the defenders of the MacBook only want to write emails and listen to music which is fair, it is their $1500.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That really depends on your definition of 'average user'. The weakpoint of the new macbook is clearly the cpu. There aren't many possible operations were ssd speeds or RAM would make a difference. The cpu on the other hand is the important factor when it comes to even basic operations.

my definition of average user is very similar to the rest of the worlds. Office suite, emails, web browsing, streaming. Those task are not really CPU intensive.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
my definition of average user is very similar to the rest of the worlds. Office suite, emails, web browsing, streaming. Those task are not really CPU intensive.
Looks like your average user is better off with an iPad then ...

Of course you are right that the tasks you mentioned are not cpu intensive. Neither do they require large amounts of ram nor fast read/write speeds. All macbooks will work equaly fine for this. It's just a question of forking out 1.5k for a laptop to read emails and browse the web ...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Looks like your average user is better off with an iPad then ...

Of course you are right that the tasks you mentioned are not cpu intensive. Neither do they require large amounts of ram nor fast read/write speeds. All macbooks will work equaly fine for this. It's just a question of forking out 1.5k for a laptop to read emails and browse the web ...

That is a good point. I think this particular macbook is aimed at that market though. People who could use an iPad, but prefer laptops. People who travel, but need to get light work done.

I use a mac at work, and dock once I get there. Nothing I do is taxing, but I do bring it back and forth each day. This laptop would actually be perfect for me.

A touchscreen iPad has productivity limitations a laptop does not have. the extra $300 over the Air is worth a retina display IMO.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
That is a good point. I think this particular macbook is aimed at that market though. People who could use an iPad, but prefer laptops. People who travel, but need to get light work done.

I use a mac at work, and dock once I get there. Nothing I do is taxing, but I do bring it back and forth each day. This laptop would actually be perfect for me.

A touchscreen iPad has productivity limitations a laptop does not have. the extra $300 over the Air is worth a retina display IMO.
Yes. The new macbook is a real niche product. Seems perfect for you though. Enjoy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.