Selling MBP, transfer Lion purchase?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by umiwangu, Jul 22, 2012.

1. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I bought my early 2011 MBP in August last year. It was a refurb and came with Snow Leopard, but it was eligible for a free Lion upgrade, so I did that. Now that I'm selling it, how do I ensure that Lion purchase transfers to the new owner?

2. Indy500fan1977 macrumors newbie

I could be wrong, but I don't believe it is legal to do that according to Apple's SLA if you purchased Lion via the AppStore.
    http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/
    I am not a lawyer, but someone else reading the docs in this link may come up with a better conclusion than I did.

3. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

You're probably gonna need to reinstall Snow Leopard from scratch, not only because Lion (and presumably future versions of OS X sold on the app store) is now licensed by your Apple ID, but also to make sure that any of your personal data is erased off the drive.

4. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

My assumption was that it was the machine that qualified for the Lion upgrade. Now it's possible that my copy is my copy, but the new owner should be able to sign into the App Store and install it from their account, right? Or if they don't have it yet, they should be able to follow the same procedure I did to get Lion (since the machine still qualifies).