Selling MBP with SSD/optibay HD combo how to do fresh install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by msriotdoll, May 5, 2011.

1. msriotdoll macrumors member

I have a mbp i'm getting ready to sell.
    I want to do a fresh install of snow leopard.
    how do I make sure that the users folder is on the HD and the operating system goes on the SSD?
    what steps should I take?

Thanks

2. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

If you're going to sell it, I would simply install the OS onto the SSD and leave the HD empty for now. Let the buyer decide how they're going to set up the system. Personally, I like only moving my media libraries to the HD instead of the whole user folder.

3. msriotdoll thread starter macrumors member

Duh never thought about that!
    I keep forgetting that all the media files will be empty and it will all fit on the ssd. Which is 60gigs.

For a fresh install.. you have to erase the drives, reformat and boot from the DVD correct?

thanks

4. tkermit, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011

tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Yes, that's correct. After you've backed up all your stuff, you can boot from the system DVD and erase both disks using Disk Utility before installing a fresh system onto the SSD.

To make sure that your data won't be recoverable, you may want to tell Disk Utility to write zeros all over the HDD and possibly over the SSD as well, although I'm not quite sure whether it will have the same effect there. You'd ideally want to do an ATA-Secure-Erase on the SSD, which would also restore the SSD's performance to how it was fresh out of the box.
    EDIT: Some more info

5. msriotdoll thread starter macrumors member