Price Advice Selling Mid 2009 Macbook (White)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ccrew, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Ccrew, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

Ccrew macrumors 68020

Was going to post it on local CL, but frankly given the specifics not sure what to ask.

Have a Mid-2009 White Macbook- 2.13gb C2D
    4gb Ram (upgraded)
    320gb HDD (upgraded)
    all the usual bells and whistles for a Macbook. Immaculate top and sides, as it was skinned brand new, bottom has some scuffing. Keyboard/deck is new generation, was replaced by the Apple store late last year.

What complicates it for me is that although it was a Mid-2009, it was purchased from Apple's refurb store in Nov of 2010. AND it has Applecare that doesn't expire until Nov 24, 2013. Was my daughter's machine for college, but her engineering school required a Windows machine so we bought her a new Envy.

Thoughts of what it's worth? Mac2Sell says $460 but doesn't factor in age, condition or Applecare. I'm thinking $550 but unsure how firm to be on that price or if I'm waaaay off base. DC Craigslist is all over the map on asking prices so that's not much help.

Thanks.

2. thatmacguybv macrumors member

Best thing to do is to set a low price (In your head) that you would take, worse comes to worse. Come up with the price you want, ultimately. You know what your machine is worth and only you can determine that. You could push well into 600 for your machine with the extras. My advice would be to list it without a price. Take offers and see how they match up with that number in your head. Take decent pictures and iterate the upgrades compared to what was standard for that model. Be firm on your low end price point, to otherwise, they will push you lower than you are comfortable and you will take it. Goodluck..

3. Ccrew thread starter macrumors 68020

FYI, probably didn't ask enough, but this sold for $575 (asking price) in 1 hour on DC's Craigslist.

4. thatmacguybv macrumors member

That's not bad at all! You could have gotten a tad more if you held out and used your highest offer to your advantage