Price Advice selling mid 2010 macbook pro good except needs new battery

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sossity, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I am moving and need to sell some items, need money, among the items I am considering selling is my mid 2010 macbook pro

it is mid 2010, i7 processor, 4gb of RAM, 500 mechanical hard drive, running 10.6.8 on it. It has a 15 inch anti glare screen. It also has parallels desktop installed with windows 7 pro & windows xp pro on it. I also have adobe sc5 design suite premium installed on it. It has 2 usb 2.0 ports, & 2 firewire ports, as well as a built in DVD drive.

It also has applecare on it until June 2013. how would I transfer this?

Also, it works good, but the main caveat is the battery has gone bad in it, it no longer has it's capacity, it drops rapidly when running it on battery, so this is best used with AC power until a new battery is installed in it.

am not sure whether to uninstall the adobe cs5, as I may need it on my mac mini, if I have to make files with older versions of adobe.

which avenue to sell would I likely get a good price for it? ebay? or a mac reseller that one can send their mac products to.

if i sell it on ebay & keep the adobe cs 5 design suite on it, what would be a good starting bid? & a good buy it now price?

if I do a sell on ebay & uninstall the adobe cs5 suite on it, what would be a good starting bid, & buy it now?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have to do anything. AppleCare follows the computer, not the owner.
    As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Don't think it's a good idea to include CS5 in it, reason, almost all professionals buy new, they don't want a 2 year old Laptop, and for the others which do want to buy a 2010 MBP, they do not care much about software on it, they might want it but don't want to pay big bucks for it.
    I think it will increase the price by Max $50-100, that's if you are lucky.
    Yes I know, CS5 is much more expensive but few people want to buy this "secondhand".
    For those who can't afford it they just pirate a copy!

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies, I want to check about the copy of parallels & windows on it? are these only good on one machine?

I know with adobe, one can have software installed on only 2 machines at a time. They can also be uninstalled as well, with the 2 machine install at a time being the limit.

are the copies of parallels & windows on the laptop reusable on another machine if I uninstall them from this laptop or are they locked into this laptop?

for the apple care, would I need to include any paperwork from it when I sell the laptop? or just sell it telling the new owner that it has applecare & have them go & look into it?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The new owner can verify remaining warranty/AppleCare coverage by entering the serial number here.