Selling my 17" MBP for 13" Alu MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cuongluong, May 24, 2009.

  1. cuongluong macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    #1
    Hello,

    I was wondering if it was worth it to sell my current 17" Macbook Pro 2.4 non-LED for $1399 and add in a couple more to get the new 13" Alu MacBook. In terms of performance, is the 13" 2.4 Macbook any that slower than the old 17" 2.4 MBP? or rather, how is the current 13" Alu MB compare to the 2.4 17" MBP.

    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
     
  2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2009
    #2
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

    There won't be any noticable performance difference, so unless you need the screen size go with the MacBook :)
     
  3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #3
    ...get the refurb 2.4Ghz UMP and what you get for your 17" should cover any tax...put the rest toward applecare...
     
  4. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #4
    That sounds like a lot of trouble for very little gain. I'd just keep the 17".
     
  5. nutritious macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2008
  6. JCastro macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    #6
    I think you would actually feel a little bit of a performance difference due to the updated processor and the faster front side bus. I really don't think it would be worth the hassle though unless you need something different than the 17" MBP gives you like ultra mobility.

    You still have plenty of life left in your MBP and the resale value should hold pretty good. I would keep what you have and instead put a little money aside between now and a year or so and wait. If the current rumors hold true (don't hold your breath), we could see 13" MBP's with processors speed pushing 2.6 (my own opinion).
     
  7. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

    Dale Cooper

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2005
    #7
    Wouldn't the 9400m graphics in the Macbook be a substantial downgrade from a 8600m gt?
     
  8. Pixellated macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    #8
    But also consider the fact that the 8600m is a timebomb.
     
  9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Britain
    #9
    I wouldn't advise it purely because of the screen. I've heard about the new MBP quality panels going into the Macbook's, but even so, 1650 x 1050 to 1280 x 800 is just painful, I should know.
     
  10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #10
    I don't think you'd notice any difference between the two machines in performance. On that basis alone, you'd be better off sticking 4 gigs of ram and a 7200 rpm hard drive in your current machine.

    But, assuming that the 17" is not covered by applecare, the 8600 video card in the MBP may be a factor in deciding to trade or not. Normally, the smart money would be in upgrading the machine and using it for as long as you can, but it would be a danged shame to have it fry and die on you with no recourse.

    Tough call. Sell the machine, which may never have a problem on the possibility it may horribly die, or loose money and buy a lesser machine as insurance? Geez...
     

Share This Page