Selling my 2010, To Split or Not to Split

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by P00t, Oct 22, 2014.

  1. P00t macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2012
    Location:
    Nottingham UK
    #1
    Hey guys, sorry if this seems like a sales plug.

    I've been messing with my Mac Pro since finding out about the Nvidia PC Cards compatibility (well not fully) I've been messing with the new stuff.

    I started with the GTX 660, since others were way too overpriced for me, then came the GTX 980's and I was lucky enough to get one as part of a Christmas Gift.

    After messing around I've decided to just get a new Mac Mini for my Downloading, Movie Watching, Sales and Printing Jobs and just built a gaming rig with the GTX 980.

    You may be asking why??? Well, I like the low power consumption offered by the new Mac Mini's and the Power Consumption of the i7 CPU's, so that's a plus to me and the New Mac Mini looks easier to upgrade to SSD myself, which is another advantage and that it has enough power for what I do, I've never really utilised the power of my Mac Pro professionally, maybe I didn't notice.

    So I listed my Mac Pro on eBay without the Graphics Card with some nice SSD brackets and decent Memory (Samsung) and I've not had alot of views so far, maybe I'm pricing too high, I don't know, but I did add abit to help cover the substantial fee's.

    Another part of me is tempted to sell everything in Parts which would release some equity for me, i.e. Complete Processor Tray with Memory, Logic Board, SSD Brackets, PSU and then Case, so basically in 5 lots.

    So, to Split or Not to Split???

    What do you guys think?
     
  2. maclove4life macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2014
    #2
    question..how much you selling? what are your specs?
     
  3. P00t thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2012
    Location:
    Nottingham UK
    #3
    I'd be happy with about £800, I'm in the UK by the way.

    Spec is 2.8 Ghz Quad, 16GB Memory, 4 OWC SSD Sleds with 1 40Gb SSD Drive.

    It just needs a graphics card.
     
  4. maclove4life macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2014
    #4
    oh it's uk...i thought you're in USA.... :(
     
  5. leon771 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2011
    Location:
    Australia
    #5
    It's the lack of graphics card that puts people off. Makes me think there is something wrong with the system. Put in a 5770 or something. Where is your OEM card?
     
  6. P00t thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2012
    Location:
    Nottingham UK
    #6
    Sold it to upgrade to a GTX980, but I've decided to build a gaming rig and use a New Mac Mini as my goto system.

    Nothing wrong with the system, I'm on it now with a GTX 660.

    I purchased it direct from Apple just over a year ago, it owes me over £1400, so I'm taking a loss.
     
  7. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

    crjackson2134

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #7
    If you already have the Mini, I think you should hold off on the sale. Wait a month or two and be sure you want to do this. It's not burning up any electricity while turned off. I'm concerned that the infatuation with the mini will ware off and you'll regret selling the pro.
     
  8. P00t thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2012
    Location:
    Nottingham UK
    #8
    That would be a sensible route, I see where you're coming from, but the problem is I've never really needed all this power from the Mac Pro, I do very basic things really, print a few PDF's created from Illustrator, Download and watch shows and movies, play music and sell/surf via the internet.

    I've been wanting to get the best from the gaming side of things since the Xbox One disapointed me and I thought about utilising the Mac Pro I currently have, but it means spending more money ontop of the high investment I've already made with the purchase of the Mac Pro and now I've got the new GTX 980 which is hassle to get running without spending more money on another graphics card to dual boot.

    I don't yet have the Mac Mini but I've pretty much had one every release, the last one I had was a pain in the ass to upgrade to SSD, but now I like the newer design for installing and SSD.

    I know the new base model is pretty slow compared to the 2012 Mac Mini but I think it's enough for what I do.

    With the rest of the funds I'm planning to build a little gaming rig, lower powered i7 CPU and I already have some SSD drives etc to use.

    I've had a few Mac Pro's too, I guess I'm trying to downsize while doing what I want with the newer stuff.

    I've found a good deal on eBay for the brand new base Mac Mini

    Apple Price is £399 UK Pounds
    I can get my american hookup to get me one from the US store for £310 + Shipping
    Found a UK eBay seller (Reputable) for £345 (Which is roughly what it would probably cost for importing from the USA)

    So I've saving abit there anyway, I'm not a massive fan of paying retail from Apple, who is though.
     

Share This Page