Selling my 3G to help pay for the 3GS.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbjectEvolution, Jun 14, 2009.

1. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

When the 3G came out, I sold my old iPhone and used the money to go towards the new iPhone. Can I do the same with my 3G to get the 3GS? Is there some type of new system that requires that I do this in the Apple store? And how much are used 8G 3G's going for these days?

Hopefully I'll be able to find a 3GS on launch day.

Thanks in advavnce for any replies.

2. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

I would say you'll be hard pressed to get more than $99.00 for a used 8g 3G because Apple is now selling them for $99.00 new. If you can get $70 that would be real good.

3. oloz macrumors newbie

Don't listen to him. I just got 350 for my 8GB 3g on ebay.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yes, but this is $99 with a 2 year contract. Someone may pay $200 or more. They can use it as a second phone and not be locked into another 2 years, but they'll have to be AT&T customers (or have the knowledge to unlock it). But, overall, I agree. The 8GB phone has limited value.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Say whaaa??

Let me know when you are having a garage sale because i'm sure I can score some goods waayyyyyy below cost if you think an 8g is going to go for 100 dollars.

OP; check ebay for the prices. The 99 dollar price from Apple is, of course, with a two year contract. I just sold my pristine 1st gen for 250 dollars (and I do mean pristine, only six months old due to warranty issue). A 3g should go for.....well right now its a little lower since there is massive market saturation since alot of 3g owners are selling theirs as you are. I'd say 200-350 sounds about right. 200 is the really low end and i'm talking for broken phones/cracked screens/borked/no accessories etc. A well taken care of jailbroken 3g with the box and accessories will go for 300+ easy.

6. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

You can probably sell it for more than $100. I just sold my 16GB 3G black on eBay for $455! :eek:

7. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

You are clueless for making that statement.

8. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Definitely put it on eBay...NOW!

My 16GB just sold a couple of days ago for $405. Works for me. :cool:

9. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

LOL
    I got 360 for my smashed glass 1st gen 16gb iphone

10. BeSe7enTeen macrumors newbie

im selling mine tomorrow to a classmate of mine for $150
    i would put it on ebay but i have no credit card or paypal since im only 17

11. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

has anyone done that cashforiphone.com thing is it safe?

12. Hints-The-Name macrumors member

Are you the person that called me when I was selling my iPhone 3G and argued with me for 20 mins before I hung up that I wont sell my iPhone for more than $50 bucks b/c EVERYONE on ATT get the iPhone at $99.

13. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Holy crap LOL :eek: :D

14. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Leave. Get out. Now.

...you're not gone yet?

When I said now, I meant now. Get out.

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Quick question for you guys -- did you unlock/jailbreak it first? How was the condition? I have a ~2 month old iPhone 3G (warranty swap) that I am looking to sell to offset the cost of the 3G S.

16. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

rofl at the 70 dollar statement

i got 270 for my cracked screen 4gb first gen 3 days before the new one on ebay unlocked. Just put up my 8gb 3g a few minutes ago hoping to fetch as close to 400 as possible if it goes over 400 then i'll be contemplating the 32gb:D

17. MK25toLife macrumors regular

Just wondering, who would be purchasing for so much? I'm confused why a used phone is going for so much, especially when a new version of that phone is coming out. Serious question, not mocking you.

18. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's not so obvious (at least it wasn't to me, since I'm not in the know on cell phones and stuff) but it's because 1) it's being sold without a contract and 2) you can sell it unlocked. So we, as sellers, are really competing with AT&T's ridiculous no-commit prices -- not the price that new or upgrade eligible AT&T members pay. Also, being unlocked adds value (especially overseas).

19. AbjectEvolution thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know why I said 8G... wasn't thinking. I actually have a 16gb 3G and that is what I'm wanting to sale. It has a few "very" minor scratches that you can't even see unless you are closely examining it. Otherwise, it's flawless.

You guys really think I could get up to $450 for it? I have never sold anything on EBAY before. Do you think I could get it sold and have the money in time for Friday's release?

Is it true that I'm going to have to pay $499 for the 32GB 3GS?

20. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

My condition was fairly new. Did not jailbreak it..

I don't know why the guy paid so much, guess he didn't want a contract with AT&T? :confused:

21. AbjectEvolution thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't figure out how to PM with this forum. Do I have to be a member for so long before I can PM someone?

If someone who has sold an iPhone on EBAY could email me, I would appreciate it. I have absolutely no idea how to do it.

abjectevolution@gmail.com

Thanks.

22. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Well, my phone started to develop cracks again by the dock connector so I took it to Apple and got a refurb. Then I put that phone on eBay and just mentioned that I "will jailbreak at buyer's request" in the auction title.

Just take good pictures of your phone, include all accessories, mention how much of the Apple warranty is remaining and even throw in any cases that you may have. Trust me, it will sell.

I started my 7-day auction at $199 and it stayed at $255 for the entire auction until the last day. The last couple of hours it shot up to $405.

23. outphase macrumors 65816

Sign me up!

24. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Speaking from experience to those selling iPhones on eBay...Do not...I repeat, do NOT sell it in an auction. A scammer that just setup an account will win your auction and try to scam you. You will then be out the week you had the phone up for auction and you will also be out the listing fees. Put the phone up as buy it now // or best offer and REQUIRE immediate payment via Paypal. This way you will have the funds before the auction ends. I sold my first generation iPhone, I put it up 3 times total - the first two auction style where both times a scammer won at the last second, the 3rd time buy it now.

25. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

I made it so that someone with a negative feedback score cannot bid on my item. I also made it so that if they have 2 no-pays in the past month they cannot bid. Lastly, I made a PayPal account required and expect payment within 24 hours of auction end. When shipping, I will make a signature required for delivery.

Hopefully this gets me a real buyer and not a scammer.