Selling my 3gs and need some advice...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eggtastic, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I am planning to sell my black 3gs 16 gb phone. I am eligible for the upgrade pricing because i used another account to upgrade the current line.

I want to sell it on craigslist. Just curious...

1.) do i leave in the sim card or take it out?

2.) on average how much do you think i can get with the original box included + 1 screen protector from apple and 1 used Incase case, the phone has only very minor scratches at the 2 top corners but thats it.

3.) what's the best way to wipe all information off the iphone before selling it?

4.) is it worth it, and by that i mean will i appreciate the upgrade and even make money off this if I can get more than $250 for this phone (16g Iphone 4 runs about $236 after activation + taxes)

*** yes i know mroogle exists but I used it and did not come upon a question like this so please help me out.

2. witmvpness6 macrumors member

Search other 3GS in craigslist (16gb) and see how people are asking and go from there. Add a tiny bit for your extras and see what offers you get. Don't go too much higher than other ads or you're not going to get a lot of replies.

3. matt550 macrumors 6502

I sold mine yesterday, I did not include sim card, there is an erase all option under settings (i dont recall the menu path) I got $280 for it. 3GS 16bg black. I probably could have gotten more, but I took the first offer I got just to get rid of it, incase there is an influx of iphones for sale in the next few days/weeks.

4. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

1) DO NOT include the sim card. You should hold onto it even though the new iPhone will include a new mirco-sim.

2) Probably anywhere from $300-$350? More or less.

3) Restore on iTunes.

4) I think it's worth it. I sold my 3GS White on e-bay a couple days ago. I'm just glad to know my 3GS is going to good use and not just laying in some drawer in my house collecting dust. :)

Hope I could help.

5. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Did you meet at a public place and what not to make the transaction?

and

Did you just transfer that SIM from your iphone to an older phone to use until the iphone 4 arrives?

6. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Big help much appreciated. Thanks

7. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Yes and Yes.

8. matt550 macrumors 6502

We met in the food court of a busy mall. I took out the sim card and bought a cheap at&t gophone to use for a few weeks until the new one arrives. Its very hard going back to a normal phone. I miss my iPhone already haha

9. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Just a heads up, when you eventually restore on iTunes make sure you do a final back-up so when you get the iPhone 4 you can restore from back-up if you like. I know some people like to start clean but it is nice to have. :)

10. matt550 macrumors 6502

True on all of those.

I got $280 for mine. But like I said, I took the first offer just to get rid of it. Im not in the mood to play games and wait on offers and all that, I wanted it gone, got pretty close to what I was asking, So I took it. $300-$350 is a good starting point though. Mine was locked non jailbroken, and didnt include anything extra only the empty box and the phone.