Selling my computer and buying a new mac ...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcintosh184, May 28, 2007.

1. mcintosh184 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm will be selling my old mac tonight. I need to know how to get all my itunes music, ect onto my small external harddrive and revert the mac back to factory settings so that my software is removed and I'm not the administrator and all my passwords are gone (stuff like that). I'm not sure if I am in the right forum, so I apoligize if I am. Thanks for any help.

2. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

It sounds like you want to do an erase and install. I believe there are manuals on apple's site for how to do this.

3. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

First:
    Back up iTunes music and movie folders to your hard drive. Make sure you have it all

Second:
    De-Authorize your computer from your iTunes account.

Third:
    Back up anything you may want to keep. When I switched to a new computer I backed up my entire HD to an external. It came in handy for finding a lot of random things like my e-mails and whatnot.

Forth:
    Make sure you have everything backed up a then use your installation disks to re-install OSX from scratch.

4. mcintosh184 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I consolidate my library, and move the itunes folder onto my external hd will that transfer all my music, as weel as itunes store bought videos and shows?

Thanks for telling me to deauthorize my account, its crap like that I would have forgotten about.