Selling my computer. How do I back up settings and files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by virilep, Jan 5, 2008.

1. virilep macrumors member

I'm selling my computer but I won't be buying a new one until later. I have Leopard right now and didn't know if Time Machine was an option. Anyone know of a good software that I could use to restore all the settings on this computer onto a new one I buy in the future?

Thanks so much for the help everyone.

2. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

If you still have the computer that you are selling when you buy your new one, use the program called Migration Assistant which is located under the utilities folder in the applications folder. If you sell the old computer before you get the new one, you'll just have to remember your settings.

3. virilep thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I guess I wanted to get rid of this one so I could have the money for the new one. Hmm.. seems like there's got to be a way. Wish Time Machine could do it.

4. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Another way that costs a bit of money is to buy an external HD and completely back up your OS on it. Then when you get your new computer, plug in the HD and copy your OS back onto it.

5. virilep thread starter macrumors member

Yea I have an external. but i guess I need to figure out what software I need to do that.

6. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Use Carbon Copy Cloner: http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html
    to clone the contents of your computer's hard drive to your external drive.

When you get your new computer, you can use migration assistant to pull your apps and settings off of the external.

Edit: I've seen that people often recommend Super Duper along with CCC, but I've never used it myself. (I have used CCC extensively and found it to be straightforward and reliable.)

7. virilep thread starter macrumors member

THANKS!