Selling my computer, wipe or just reinstall?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SpookTheHamster, Sep 1, 2007.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I just sold my iMac and I'm going to install OS X for the new owner. Is it worth using the disc utility to completely write over the drive, or should I just reinstall OS X?

2. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Personally I'd zero the drive and then re-install OSX, just to be on the safe side ;)

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Depends, of course, what's on it and what your tolerance for risk is.

If you have any other person's private data on it -- such as club or society member address lists, or personal financial data from any business you have done, you may be obliged by privacy legislation to wipe and overwrite it.

4. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I'd go for the 7 pass wipe, then I'm just paranoid.

5. Ankit S. macrumors newbie

More than 1 or 2 passes is pointless, from what I hear.

6. MK2007 macrumors regular

1 or 2 passes is more than enough. Someone who buys a computer isn't the type that plans to hack old data from your period of ownership. Retrieving data from the former owner occurs most often with stolen computers.

Even if you did nothing and just re-installed OS X, it might won't matter because the new owner will probably create new files that overwrite everything you did anyway.

I myself have sold several Macs. Before shipping them to their new owners I only wiped the drive during the re-installation of OS X. I didn't bother with 1 or 2 passes to cleanse the drive, and I have never had any problems. Like I said, someone who buys your machine wants to use it, not hack your old files.

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

But just to be on the safe side a 1 pass would be good....otherwise its EASY to get data off of it. Atleast a 1 pass makes it harder.

8. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Better to be safe than sorry, not like it takes any effort to zero out the drive

9. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I zero'd it. I thought it would take longer than it did and I was in hurry, but it only took about half an hour.

10. machappymeal macrumors member

11. stuff99 macrumors 6502

12. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Overwriting the whole of the disc. Done through Disk Utility from the OSX DVD.