Selling my computer....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SaleenS351, Aug 12, 2007.

1. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

I am selling my powermac and before I do I want to erase all my personal info and files. Basically a clean slate. How do I go about doing this while still keeping my programs on there like microsoft office, popcorn and the latest iLife? appreciate any help

2. tsd macrumors regular

I can't speak from experience, since I haven't had to erase my Mac's HDD yet, but I'm pretty sure that Disk Utility, found in the Utilities folder, which is inside your Applications folder can do a multiple-pass secure erase, where it actually overwrites all the current data with meaningless 1's and 0's. If that option isn't available, I do know that programs like Alsoft Diskwarrior or TechTool Pro can do it, and they are pretty cheap. I recently purchased Diskwarrior for my HDD maintenance stuff, and I love it!

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There's no easy way to be sure your data is securely off it that doesn't involve re-installing the software, as far as I know. I guess you could create a new user account, drag your entire home directory from your old user into the trash, delete it, and then do a secure erase of the empty HD space from Disk Utility (which does, as mentioned do a random overwrite, although you can only erase empty space from Disk Utility while booted; you can't reformat the drive you booted off of).

What people normally do is boot off the system DVD, follow the prompts till you get an "options" button, and then choose the option to erase and re-install, overwriting the entire HD with random 1s and 0s. Then they usually reinstall all the software they are supplying.

Be advised, of course, that you shouldn't be selling the computer with those apps unless you're also providing the license (and media, as applicable)... but you know that. ;)

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you are selling your computer, unless you are providing the buyer with the original CDs, serial numbers and transfer of license, you are not permitted to leave on the hard drive commercial applications such as Office and iLife and OSX 10.x versions newer than what the machine shipped with.

Curses, beaten again by the flying fingers of Mr mkrishnan ! :)

5. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it thanks guys, Ill just do a reinstall from the discs provided with the computer.

Another question I have is, I have 2 internal HD's and I plan on getting the new iMac and someone had said that I can use my sencond internal HD with the iMac, but can't boot from it(no biggie) but how do I hook up the HD to the iMac?

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

You need to get a USB/Firewire Hard drive Enclosure

7. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot frisco

8. diehldun macrumors 6502a

But if I do all that (I'm also selling my PB), Microsoft Office will still be in the computer? I thought it wiped everything off clean... that's good though, because I told my neighbor it'd be coming with a word processor, etc.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Erase and Install will wipe out Office and your data and every other program in the machine except what Apple's installer installs back in.

And... please re-read the thread, you are not allowed to 'leave' commercial software on the machine unless you also sell them the Original CD, the serial number, and erase said programs from any machines you own.

10. pmartin macrumors regular

Don't just do that, it isn't secure. What you want to do is boot off of the installation CD and open up disk utility. From there choose your drive and the erase tab. Under the advanced options you're going to want to choose to zero the hard drive at the very least.

I don't think the iMac has room for a second drive, so you will need to get an external drive enclosure. Try newegg.com, they're usually pretty good for those types of things.