Selling my iBook G4 - new user help!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kcavouras, Jul 9, 2009.

1. kcavouras macrumors newbie

After five happy years with my iBook G4, I'm getting ready to sell it. I've cleared my personal stuff, done a 7-times pass, and re-installed the original software that came with it, Panther. (Over the years I had upgraded to Tiger but as part of a family pack and I no longer have the disks).

Now I'm at the new user screen, where it asks for my registration details. I'd be happy to put it on eBay and sell it as-is but I want to get "in" first and have a better idea of exactly what software/applications are going with it, I don't remember how much GB it has, etc etc. Basically, I want to register as a new user, and then wipe that registration after I've confirmed that everything is kosher.

My research has told me that I can return the computer to its new-user start screen by deleting the AppleSetupDone file like this: http://tinyurl.com/nfjs84

Can someone confirm that this is what I should do for Panther, too? That thread I linked to was referring to Tiger and Leopard. And if anyone has any other tips on what I should do to get it sell-ready, I'd appreciate it!

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yes, just confirmed it. It will work in Panther 10.3 too :)
    Good luck.