Selling my iPhone 2G - what needs doing??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickosbad, Feb 16, 2009.

1. nickosbad macrumors regular

Hiya, hopefully someone can offer some advice, I am going to sell my original iPhone before all the 18 month contracts ending mean there's a flood of them but am a little unsure of what needs doing with it.

Basically it is a Jailbroken and Unlocked (via Pwnage tool for Mac) and has been used on my Macbook.

Can ANYONE continue to use the phone if I just restore it or will I need to un-jailbreak it and will the new buyer need to re-format it if they want to use it on a Windows machine??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Nick

2. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

It depends on whether or not you want to sell it jailbroken or not. Personally, I'd restore it to regular software and then delete everything off of it and sell it like that. :) BTW, how much are you thinking of selling it for??

3. nickosbad thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so a full restore sounds the best option, however will that person still need to format it for windows if needed. Is it safe just to restore using the original iphone FW from apple or will it need something doing first to un-jailbreak it?

4. Cask Guest

I would restore it and then just jailbreak - unlock it. At least that's what I did when I sold my 2G back in July. Some people are ready to pay a premium for an unlocked iphone because they don't know how to do it themselves.

5. iFerd macrumors 6502a

There is nothing about the iPhone itself that is specific to Windows or Mac. You shouldn't have to do anything about the platform it will be used with. At least that is true for non-jailbroken phones - I don't know if it could be different if it is jailbroken.

I sold a first generation iPhone a few weeks ago by listing it as buyer's choice about whether it would be unlocked or not. I got my price and the buyer didn't want it unlocked.

6. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

If you want to make it nearly new, try going to setting > general > reset

And do a secure wipe of all data. This will prevent the buyer from recovering old data of yours and it will make the phone seem like it's out of the box. Good luck with selling!

EDIT: I'm not sure if restore securely wipes the data like my method does, but restore is definitely faster