Selling my iPhone 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alexeipg, Jun 18, 2009.

1. alexeipg macrumors newbie

Is it possible to sell an Iphone 3G S on ebay if I just signed up for a new 2 year contract? In other words, can anyone put their sim card in and have it work or is it already pre-programmed for my phone #

I decided having a good camera and wireless syncing is too important to me so I want to get a Nokia N86 instead. Does anyone know if the data plan for the iPhone will also work on an unlocked N86 and, if not, is it possible to cancel the data plan and just pay for voice/text?

Thanks in advance!

Alexei

2. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

the N86 camera is junk...its all hype dude

your better off with a $250 N82 w/ xenon flash (still the best cam out there)

the data plan should be fine

the iphone does the $30 plan where all unlocked nokia device work on the $15 media max plans...so you know

3. alexeipg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

Is that a yes, then, that I can sell the new iPhone on ebay even though it is under contract with me?

I personally don't really like the design of the N82, plus I think if I am selling the brand new iPhone, I want to get something pretty top-of-the-line in exchange for it, just so I won't have buyer's remorse when I see all the cool kids with iphones.

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Sure you can sell the device, why not? You bought it. :) You still have a contract for 2yrs of service however and will need to honor that or pay an Early Termination Fee (ETF).

5. mlad1101 macrumors regular

If you signed up for a new account for the 3gS you have to return the phone if you cancel the account. Otherwise to keep it you need to pay $175 cancelation fee, $36 activation fee, First month and second month which cheapest bill is roughly $70+ tax.

So price of the phone + roughly $350 to cancel and keep phone.

If you were eligible for the upgrade price then your in the clear and can sell it and return to your 3g.

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

You have to return the phone if you cancel it within 30 days of starting your contract.

7. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

Or you can just pop that new sim into the nokia sell the 3gs and you will be fine. But the 2 yr contract you signed for the iphone now will apply to the nokia.

8. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Why don't you just return it. I mean you haven't even received it yet. It has one of the best cell phone cameras on the market. If you need anything better than that you probably shouldn't be taking cell phone pictures.

9. alexeipg thread starter macrumors newbie

It definitely doesn't have one of the best cell phone cameras on the market, not even close really.

If i return it, then I am starting at $0 and spending $600 on a nokia N86 w/o any benefit of committing to a 2-year contract, which I can't return anyway. By selling the phone on Ebay, I would be basically getting the same 2 year contract deal available on the iphone (selling for $500-$700 right now) but applied to the Nokia phone.

10. heathkat macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about selling my 3gs on ebay as well.

According to Fedex my 16GB 3gs is being delivered this afternoon. I was thinking of listing it on ebay and selling it (hopefully) for 500 bucks or more. Now all I have to do is stick with my 1st gen iphone another couple weeks and then buy the 32 GB 3gs (when they are back in stock) and pocket approx $200. Minus ebay listing fees, of course.

I bought the 3gs through att.com by upgrading my 1st gen iphone. Will I be able to buy another iphone at the subsidized price? Does AT&T 'care' if I sell this phone??

11. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

You answered you own question buddy. You already used your upgrade so therefore you aren't eligible for the subsidized price again. Say bye bye to whatever profit you thought you'd make.

As for the starter of this thread, if you don't want the phone (which is obvious from your comments) then sell it and be stuck with the contract and get your piece of just Nokia or keep it and realize the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

12. heathkat macrumors newbie

Forgot to mention that my wife also is on my plan. If need be I can 'upgrade' her phone since she is eligible for the subsidized pricing.

Interestingly, I just logged onto my att.com account and it is still giving me the option to upgrade my current iphone to a 3gs at the subsidized price.

13. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Are you comparing specs or actual image quality? Specs are next to meaningless on camera phones.

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Probably cause you have received it yet. I'm sure once you receive it you'll see that change on your page.

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Did you actually plan on keeping it to start with?

Maybe make a little side money selling it the day it came out?

16. heathkat macrumors newbie

Yes I originally planned on keeping it. Just occurred to me last night that selling on ebay would be a way to get a 'free' 32GB model.

I've had my 1st gen for 2.5 years so another couple of weeks doesn't really matter.

17. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I think if it's within 30 days of signing your contract, you should be able to cancel both the phone and the contract. Just tell them you're unhappy about not having MMS and need it for work.

My boss did that last year, got the iPhone on a new contract, didn't like it for not being able to send MMS so canceled the contract and returned the phone, and signed up for a new contract for a blackberry.

18. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k